PDA

View Full Version : Tank question and filtering

mr_rich
01-20-2007, 05:27 AM
Well i have had my betta for about 4 months now, and he seems to be happy i do water changes every week, but i was under the impression that he would do well in a 1.5 gallon bowl with no filter or heater. It has gravel and a small plant in it.

Well my question is.. I have a 5 gallon tank not being used. i was thinking of putting the betta in that. if i do that do i cycle the tank like cycling a big tank, also add gravel, could i put a small live plant in the tank as well.

the big question is getting a filter small enough to filter a 5 gallon tank but not make a big water stir in the tank cause as far as i know they dont like that. also a heater do they make anything small enough for a 5 gallon tank.

what temp should i keep it at.

thanks
rich

mr_rich
01-20-2007, 05:48 AM
also i have not used this tank since i was a kid, yeah im a pack rat lol.

but the tank glass on the inside is really dirty and grimmy from when i was a kid.

best way to clean it so it shines again?

thanks

blue fin
01-20-2007, 06:23 AM
First, as long as it is glass you can clean it, use a dish cleaning sponge with the webbed plastic around a sponge, stay away from scotchbrite as it will scratch even glass pretty badly, a bit of persistent elbo grease will be your best friend, clean well but avoid soap, if you need to use bleach you should keep it to a bare minimum and soak and rince two or three times before using. as for heating, yes it would be better but if you keep the room you will have the betta in above 75 it should be fine for him, yes they make small filters, check Aquaclear and get a filter that will handle approx 10 gph or thereabouts, live plants are good, the betta will like that, you should cycle the tank before putting the betta in though and for this you will need substrate and the filter first.

f1oored
01-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Rich,
Welcome to the forum. I recently did exactly what you are describing. Any 10 gallon filter should do fine. Just make sure it is all the way to one side so there is calm water at the surface (for the bubble nest). I would go with an aqua clear or a penguin bio wheel (the bio wheel will cycle faster).

I don't know what other tanks you are currently running but if you have media in an established tank use some of it in the 5 gallon along with some gravel (just a little to seed the tank). I just used the betta to cycle the tank because I figured he was already use to high ammonia levels from being in the 1 gallon bowl. My cycle took about a week and my betta didn't seem a bit bothered. He loves the room to swim and has really become more active since I moved him.

As far as temp goes, just put him in a warm area and as long as his water stays in the mid 70s to low 80s he will be fine. One last thing that is very very important, post pictures when your done. We love pictures.

bettaboy691
01-20-2007, 01:31 PM
"but i was under the impression that he would do well in a 1.5 gallon bowl with no filter or heater"

your betta will NOT do well in unfiltered,unheated tank no matter what people say, bettas are TROPICAL water fish therefore NEED regular heat, and why not a filter, would you like to live in your own crap?i didnt think so.

"Well my question is.. I have a 5 gallon tank not being used. i was thinking of putting the betta in that. if i do that do i cycle the tank like cycling a big tank, also add gravel, could i put a small live plant in the tank as well."

putting your betta in a 5 gallon tank would be a great idea.cycle it first,add gravel and live plants, bettas likes them both.you could add a few live plants,and maybe some floating ones as your betta would love you for it.

"the big question is getting a filter small enough to filter a 5 gallon tank but not make a big water stir in the tank cause as far as i know they dont like that. also a heater do they make anything small enough for a 5 gallon tank."

the filter first,they must be loads of 5 gallon filters out there, and one of them will be fine for a betta,dont worry about a little movement in the tank,your betta wont bother,and the heater i found a good heater for you, something on the lines of this is for your tank http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_heaters_hydor_mini.asp?CartId=.
the best temperature to keep a betta is around 79/80F.make sure the temp. is at a regular heat and not going up and down as this will stress your betta.

hope i covered all your questions,good luck with your betta

Abbeys_Mom
01-20-2007, 03:08 PM
I know people prefer the HOB filters, but if a tank under 10g I always use a sponge filter. It filters and has an air stone. It is also good for Bettas as it doesn't make much of a current in the tank. You would need to buy an air pump, but it is cheaper then a HOB filter. You can usually get a small air pump and a sponge filter for under $10.

If you get a heater, go for a 25w. They are usually small enough for a 5g.

Hope this helps :)

mr_rich
01-20-2007, 05:00 PM
thanks everyone