PDA

View Full Version : 37 gallon

goleafs
11-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I recently built a tank stand that I believe has a footprint of 32"x 16" (I put the frame together about a month ago so i forget). I plan on putting a 37 gallon on it (30x12x23?) which to my knowledge is the largest tank I can put on this stand. My problem is that I'm not sure what to do with it. I have my convict in a 15 gallon (not a size issue yet) and the 15 gallon has to go ASAP ( for the past 6 months).

I origanally planned on putting my goldfish in the 37 gallon and moving my convict into their 15 gallon. But they've been in their 15 gallon tank for almost 9 years now and are quite healthy so I don't think risking moving them makes much since.

One other idea I've been going over is putting my convict in my 75 gallon once he gets a bit bigger. Leaving the goldfish in the 15 and using the 37 for something else (probably either a community tank, native tank or a breeding project).

If I was to use the 37 for breeding what would be a good species to start with? I can fit my 15 gallon under the stand for fry etc.

I'd really like lots of input for this because this is probably my last tank I can setup for a very long time.

Sharkman
11-19-2008, 03:09 AM
what kind of goldfish do you have in a 15g tank? I would think the goldfish may need the 75g more than the convict.

mac
11-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Hi,
I agree, the gold fish in the end will need a large tank, like the 75 gallon.

IMO I would get rid of the gold fish, and get something else.

As for fish to breed, you could try Rasboras, Croaking Gouramis, Guppies, Mollies, Plats. But that is a signal species of fish only mind you.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

mac

Northernguy
11-19-2008, 04:19 AM
Sorry bud but I have to agree with the other posts.
The goldfish need a large tank,the 75.
The convicts will be fine in the 37.

Adrian
11-19-2008, 05:42 AM
I got a 37 gallon tank. I turned it into my show piece, as I just don't have the room for a larger tank at the moment. You have a lot of options with a 37 gallon. Mine is listed in my blog.

Northernguy
11-19-2008, 05:48 AM
Here is a bit of reading material on goldfish.I hope this helps.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/goldfish.php

goleafs
11-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Well I've decided that I'm not going to use my new tank space for my goldfish.

When I was 8 years old they were going to be flushed by a friend of mines father who was using them to cycle a tank so I put them in my brand new 15 gallon tank that I was going to use for tropical fish then found out nothing could co-exist with them(I remember I was pretty pissed off at this point). I am sure that they are stunted (one is 6" the other is about 4" and they are comets) also before I got serious into fishkeeping a did a water change once every year or so.

Putting them in my 75 is completely out of the question as I have an oscar 2 jack dempseys and a gar in it and the temperature is 82F.

So I have decided to keep my Convict in his tank for a while until he is big enough to not be mistaken for food then put him into my 75 and use the 37 for breeding and have the Convicts tank availiable for fry or a hospital tank.

Northernguy
11-19-2008, 08:35 PM
They are your tanks and fish.All we can do is suggest what we feel is proper care,the rest is up to you.
I would still like to see some pics of your tanks.I have always been a fan of Oscars and JDs.

Sharkman
11-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I mean if the goldfish weren't an option in the 75g why not say that from the beginning?