PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting to a bigger tank!

2xtheman
11-18-2008, 07:49 PM
:confused: I'm currently running a planted 10g fw aquarium and want to transplant it into a 20g tank I just got. Do I need to cycle the new tank before the transplant?
The Penguin 100 hanging power filter that I'm using now is rated "UP TO" 20 gallons. Is this accurate or an over-estimation and therefore will not provide sufficient filtration? Will I have to replace filter cartrigdes too often and be spending too much?
What is the best way to reduce the strain on my fish and plants?
Is there any special precautions I should take in the first few months? ie) larger and more frequent water changes, less/more light, etc.

Thanks

Red
11-18-2008, 07:53 PM
I would say get another 20g rated filter for the tank...... And then put it on your 10 gallon tank and then let it seed off it and then put it on your 20g tank and then add the fish over with both of the filters... If that doesn't make sence go ahead and post your question :)

2xtheman
11-19-2008, 03:45 AM
So I should buy another penguin100 and put the 2 on the 20 gallon tank? Isn't that just going to be twice as expensive when I have to replace twice as many filter cartridges every time?

Wouldn't it just be cheaper in the long run to buy a larger power filter?

What steps or precautions should I take during the actual move? Anyone?!?!?:c3:

Red
11-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Yeah you could buy a big large filter i thought maybe you wanted to cycle really quick. But i suggest getting a big large filter.. Aquaclear is on the top of the list. When moving your fish make sure to acclimate them and they have same perimeters and temp.

Sharkman
11-19-2008, 03:56 AM
the plants can be moved over during the cycle. The cycle won't hurt them.

2xtheman
11-19-2008, 07:07 PM
The steps I'm planning on taking are:
1-Take fish out and place in a quarantine tank using water from original tank.
2-Remove decorations from tank.
3-Scoop out gravel and place in new tank, along with new gravel.
4-Drain remaining water from old tank into new tank.
5-Place plants and decorations into new tank.
6-Add treated water to new tank to get level up.
7-Add fish.

In my mind, this is essentially a 50% water change. Am I right?

Anything wrong with the steps I've written down? Do I need to add some?
Thanks!

Northernguy
11-19-2008, 07:16 PM
As long as your original tank is properly cycled just use fresh dechlorinated water to fill the new tank.Do not clean your old filter and put it on the new tank.It will cycle instantly.The rest of the plan is good.
If you want a new very easy to maintain filter go with the Aqua clear,you can save money making your own media bags.

Sharkman
11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
yep, just what northern guy said. As long as the quarantine tank has already been cycled there is no issue in adding the fish to it right away.

2xtheman
11-20-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm glad the tank won't have to be cycled before I put the fish in.

Now I just have to do some research about which fish to add!

invadertoast
11-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Isn't that just going to be twice as expensive when I have to replace twice as many filter cartridges every time?

Wouldn't it just be cheaper in the long run to buy a larger power filter?

How often do you change your filter cartridge? I just rinse mine in tank water every few weeks and haven't ever needed to replace it with a new one. You could use "cut to size" filter pads material, it's very cheap and works just as well.

2xtheman
11-20-2008, 02:07 AM
How often do you change your filter cartridge?

Usually ever 3-4 weeks I change my filter media. If I don't, it clogs up an slows the water flow down. Sometimes I have to change it more often if there has been lots of plant debris.

I just rinse mine in tank water every few weeks and haven't ever needed to replace it with a new one.

How do you clean the filter by rinsing it in tank water? Mine usually has a bunch of slime and gunk on the flossy side that doesn't rinse free. Do you just sit it in water and it eventually floats free?

invadertoast
11-20-2008, 02:17 AM
How do you clean the filter by rinsing it in tank water? Mine usually has a bunch of slime and gunk on the flossy side that doesn't rinse free. Do you just sit it in water and it eventually floats free?

I rub it very gently with my fingers then shake it around in the bucket, most of the slimy stuff comes off.

2xtheman
11-20-2008, 02:22 AM
I rub it very gently with my fingers then shake it around in the bucket, most of the slimy stuff comes off.

Good to know! Could I squeeze out a couple extra weeks on each filter media by doing this?