PDA

View Full Version : Betta Sororiety Tank and Girls

Sharon
11-18-2008, 06:52 PM
I've set up a Betta Sororiety tank, and plan to use one of my girls to breed, next month. I think it will have to be the Dark Blue, as I'm assuming she's the only Crowntail in the mix...

Sharon
11-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Here's the male I will be using...

Kathyd
11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Those are some nice looking girls. Are they getting along?

Sharon
11-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Yes, they are doing great! The smallest gets nipped ocassionally, but it never lasts long, and hasn't become a problem.

Wild Turkey
11-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Kool idea sharon, glad its working out for you.:19:

Kayla-Bug
11-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Not to bomb on you, but your male looks a bit fat. And do you have plans for the babies? And are you trying to get certain colors out of the batch or is this just for fun? If the spawn is successful and you have the correct amount of babies you will have a hard time getting rid of them unless you have a store or something that will buy them from you or take them for store credit. And the only colors you'll get out of the spawn most likely will be multi colored ones. You will probably get some nice ones, but for the most part multied.

teach
11-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Great set up. This mite be an idea for my 10gal.

Sharon
11-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Not to bomb on you, but your male looks a bit fat. And do you have plans for the babies? And are you trying to get certain colors out of the batch or is this just for fun? If the spawn is successful and you have the correct amount of babies you will have a hard time getting rid of them unless you have a store or something that will buy them from you or take them for store credit. And the only colors you'll get out of the spawn most likely will be multi colored ones. You will probably get some nice ones, but for the most part multied.

The male, Robin, always looks a bit fat. I have been feeding a little extra as I'm going to be away for at least 7 days, and I want to make sure all fish are well fed, before I leave.
I actually have a buyer. An out of town LFS that I trust will be buying them, if the price is right for them. I'm sure it will be, as I'm not too concerned about making a large profit. I just need to be able to offload the fry.
I'm aware I'll probably get muticoloured, but they should have nice finnage, considering I'll be using Robin(a breeder has informed me that he is a Quad) and the female is a Crowntail...(possibly a Double.)
This is a first for me, so I'm just trying it to see if I enjoy it. I'll make a few dollars which is a bonus...

mac
11-19-2008, 02:23 AM
Hi,
Loverly looking Bettas.

Your male looks great. What size tank are you planing to grow the young up in?

mac

Sir Tristen
11-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Thanks for posting the pics Sharon:19: :19: :19:

Wild Turkey
11-19-2008, 06:48 AM
I'll make a few dollars which is a bonus...

Cant argue with that! $$$$ Good luck:19:

lovleeko
11-19-2008, 07:15 AM
love the green female. I have been trying to find a greenish betta. It's the one color I have missing. Nice pics!

Sharon
11-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks!...I was thinking of breeding, and growing the babies in a 15gal plastic tub, actually.When they need seperation, I've got to house the males in plastic tubs or glass jars. I haven't decided how I'm going to keep all the little jars warm yet...as it will be winter, here.

terrapin24h
11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks!...I was thinking of breeding, and growing the babies in a 15gal plastic tub, actually.When they need seperation, I've got to house the males in plastic tubs or glass jars. I haven't decided how I'm going to keep all the little jars warm yet...as it will be winter, here.

Put the jars in a cooler with a heating pad or hot packs. Even with the lid off, you'll be surprised how well your typical cooler insulates. Turn the heat pad on for a bit to warm them up and then shut it off. The jars will help insulate each other and the cooler will insulate the whole thing. Plus you'll be able to move them easy :)

--chris

Northernguy
11-19-2008, 04:36 PM
Great pics Sharon! I hope the breeding works out for you :c3:

Sharon
11-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Put the jars in a cooler with a heating pad or hot packs. Even with the lid off, you'll be surprised how well your typical cooler insulates. Turn the heat pad on for a bit to warm them up and then shut it off. The jars will help insulate each other and the cooler will insulate the whole thing. Plus you'll be able to move them easy :)

--chris

What a GREAT idea!!!:19:

terrapin24h
11-19-2008, 06:24 PM
What a GREAT idea!!!:19:

Thanks. I learned a long time ago that these fancy see through things we keep fish in are for our benefit, not theirs. I know people that have used rubbermaid garbage can for tanks, and a friend of mine used coolers to move his fish when he moved. Ran an air pump off a power inverter when he had to move his fish and 55 across town. So, i can't take all the credit for the idea. Similarly, you could make dividers in the cooler that the fish could not see through and just let them free swim. Might be easier on the fish not having to go in and out of a bottle. I'm thinking like a 6 pack of bottle beer kind of idea. You've got beer up there, right? lol ;)

--chris

Sharon
11-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Yep, we've got beer...but I prefer wine!!!:19:

dixipixi32
11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
sharon check out this site...lots of great info and a stock shop!!! I think you wihttp://bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1097ll like it