PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp *WHOOT!*

Demi ^_^
11-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Yuup! The LFS has CHERRY SHRIMP! Well. Kinda anyways! The tank had NO cherry shrimp in their and they need to get more because I suspect people have fallen in love and grabbed the little shrimp in a few seconds!

They are 4 bucks each at the LFS! Are they usually that expansive??

TazManiac
11-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I am so annoyed that Tasmania has such strict Quarantine laws. We can't have any kind of shrimp imported into Tasmania. They never have any native Tasmanian ones either.

korith
11-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Here the going rate for red cherry shrimp seems to be about $1 each. Though a few lfs do try to sell them for a lot more than that. Your best bet would be to find someone else in one of the forums or something and get them that way.

You'll like them, they are very active. I got 20 of them, and now there must be well over 40-50 of them in the 10g. If you buy them at the lfs, try to get ones that are already carrying eggs, so you can get a nice population going in your tank.

Demi ^_^
11-18-2008, 08:54 AM
I guess, if I want some I will get a 5-10g instead of the 1g since they seem so expansive. I guess the best bet is to get 4-6 and see if they breed?

Mvjnz
11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
They're usually more than $4 each in forum classifieds, so if the pet store gets them back in stock I'd go for it. Shrimp are pretty difficult to come by in Australia. Never seen them in pet stores, and only occasionally in the classifieds.

Demi ^_^
11-18-2008, 10:35 AM
How hard are they to breed, I'll save up and try and breed them :)) What are the tank requirements? What PH do they prefer? Plants? Caves? Sand or gravel? How many should I get at first?

TazManiac
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Try this link for more information on cherry shrimp. Google is your friend:

http://www.fishyou.com/shrimp-cherry.php

terrapin24h
11-18-2008, 05:37 PM
How hard are they to breed, I'll save up and try and breed them :)) What are the tank requirements? What PH do they prefer? Plants? Caves? Sand or gravel? How many should I get at first?

Easy breeders. They prefer a 7 ish ph and mid 70 degree water. Yes, yes, either, around 10 should do it. Look for pics to know how to ID a "berried" female, and get a couple of those if possible, and try to get some that are younger(smaller) the younger ones are tougher and will handle the change to your tank and water better than the older adults will.

--chris

Gemini
11-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Congrats Demi! I know of a couple of LFS here in Brissy that have them too - one has them for $14.95 each - the other for $5.10 each. So $4 is good! THis is the best place for info on them http://arizonainverts.com/forums/
Everyone is super nice and really know their shrimp. I have had my cherry shrimp since June - I have not had them breed and have had a cpl of issues with them. What I have learnt:
Get sand - much easier to clean than gravel with these guys!
Get plants - java moss they love! Java ferns, anything really!
Caves - I wouldn't bother - well actually I'm about to put a coconut cave in there but that's more for me then them! I like the look - I"m trying to create a beach hut scene!
Seriously though go to that forum and read their info. So good!! You can also read about the issues I've had and all the help I got! In the Invert Newbie forum - same user name as here.
They are fabulous though! YOu'll love them!!!!!!!!!

Mvjnz
11-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Where in Brissy have you seen them? I've wanted shrimp for ages but have never seen them at pet stores...

Gemini
11-19-2008, 04:25 AM
Its a bit of a hike from Murrumba Downs - but at the PetWise at Kuraby/Underwood. They are in the the new centre where Bunnings and Big W are. I think its cnr of Logan Rd and Kingston Rd. You have to drive in and up the back as they are in the back corner. Pretty big store though. When I was there last Sat the shrimp were on the bottom shelf about 1/3-1/2 way along. In a tank alone with a HUGE clump of java moss. They have quite a few and I'm sure the price was only $5.10.

The other place is on Old Cleveland Rd (I think!) but they are $14.95 each.

Oh and Pet City at Mt G has Black and White Crystal Shrimps, Red and White Crystal Shrimps that they got in about 2 weeks ago.

Mvjnz
11-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Excellent, thanks:)

Dunno when I'll be able to go that far for shrimp, but if I happen to be heading that way I'll definitely get some:)