PDA

View Full Version : Mystery snail-like things in my tank.

kungpaoturkey
11-18-2008, 07:00 AM
I recently found some little things crawling on the wall of my tanks that might be baby snails, but i haven't seen any clutches of eggs anywhere in the tank! I haven't bought any fishes or anything at all. I do have one snail that was labeled a "mystery snail" at the LFS it looks nothing like the ones on the forum.

Does anyone know what these could be? I accidentally crushed one and it had a hard shell so im guessing its a baby snail, although it doesnt look lke one.

Adrian
11-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Snails come in varies shapes and sizes. It would help if we got a better description of the snail in question. Does it look like a rams horn? Or something different?

Dave66
11-18-2008, 07:31 AM
If it was a hard shell it's probable the ubiquitous pond snail, Physa species. If you have any live plants, the eggs probably came in on them.

Dave

Levi
11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, they are pest snails, you adopted them by accident.

I purposely infected my crayfish tanks with them so they could snack on them.

A word of warning, there will eventually be hundreds of them, so you might want to squish the ones you see, depending on how you feel about that......

kungpaoturkey
11-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Here is a picture of my snail which ive had for about 2 months. I tried taking pictures of the ones i discovered but they are too small. I don't have any live plants in my tanks either so im still curious as to what those things are and how they got there.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/Kungpaoturkey2/CIMG0246.jpg

Also, can anyone identify this snail? It was just labeled a "Mystery Snail" at the lfs.

Wild Turkey
11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Mystery snail is the species.

He cant lay eggs by himself as he needs a mate, also the eggs are laid above the water line so you would see the empties and duds still sitting up there.

Pond snail is the best guess to what the smaller ones are.

Levi
11-18-2008, 09:46 PM
they probably made the trip inside the big snail

little snails seem to like going inside bigger snails shells and annoying them for some reason