PDA

View Full Version : Pond building

Full3R
01-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Hey, I currently have to bird avaries and one i am digging a pond in the bottom of as the larger avary contains all my birds. its about 2X4and about 1 and a half feet deep since we already have a power point hooked up to the avary i was thinking about hooking up a heater to the pond and keeping tropicals in the pond we (my father and i) are going to lay a cement layer to keep the water in and then finish it with potted water plants driftwood, tunnels etc. and i was wondering would this be safe to do

the pond is in a protected cage has both shade and sunlight and a water dripper to top it off

also what would be some good fish to put in the pond? i wanna give it a sort of amazonian feel to it to if possible.

i live in NSW which in considerably colder compared to the Northern Territory or the other Northern parts of australia

thanks for ne help

William
01-17-2006, 05:51 AM
Which temperature do you think you will be able to keep in the water?

Full3R
01-17-2006, 06:41 AM
well i plan to put the heater at the normal the same temperature as in my tanks 26 - 28 because i was hoping to keep black ghosts in it aswell

nick_cave
01-20-2006, 10:15 AM
Personaly i have an old cement pond (used to have gooses, my grand father built it, with is brother), it is there for at least 30-40 years (maybe more), and does not leak at all.
All winters i clean it and check for cracks in the walls and bottom, and repair them, and ten years ago i made a large reconstruction, i had to hammer down bits of wall and recement them (there were traces of some recontruction done earlyer) and the original cement was also present (very sandy, breaking with just my hand).
As for heating i never tried, just kept cold water species, and in the summer some cory cats.

Get a top overflowing tube 5 cm lower then your pond top, and have a bottom discharge tube to help you clean it.

Full3R
09-17-2006, 07:01 AM
i have an old sand pit frame that is wide long and high and i was thinking of putting a new liner in it and turning it into a pond in the day time the pond would be just over 32 celsius and at night im not sure yet but very low ill post it when i check tonight would it be safe to construct the pond like that?

Full3R
09-17-2006, 07:09 AM
i have an old sand pit frame that is 181cm X 181cm X 30cm and i was thinking of putting a new liner in it and turning it into a pond in the day time the pond would be just over 32 celsius and at night im not sure yet but very low ill post it when i check tonight would it be safe to construct the pond like that?

If i worked out the parmeters right it holds up to 982 Litres which is roughly 300 gal

Tell me any species which u think i should keep in it and if possible what way of heating it should i go about

William
09-17-2006, 06:53 PM
depends on what species you want to keep in it.

Full3R
09-18-2006, 03:22 AM
i dunno something predatory, my mother suggest an oscar or two, but i wasnt sure if i could maintain thempreture above 26 degrees at night

Full3R
09-18-2006, 07:36 AM
if the pond was heavily planted, and it was going to be a species pond how many male and female bettas could i keep in it? and would they breed?