PDA

View Full Version : Anymore Ideas?

JimTheBetta
11-17-2008, 09:23 AM
About a month ago i got into fish keeping by buying myself a little crowntail betta and a small 2 gallon tank to keep him in. With me now moving on to bigger tanks and different fish, i couldn't let Jim go without any attention.

He is now living in a 10 gallon tank, furnished with some caves for him to play and hide in (which i sanded on certain parts to get rid of any sharp corners) which he already uses, and 2 ghost shrimp which so far have been the only tankmate i can find for him he hasn't flared at (the lfs hates me for all the returns of failed tank mates). i just added 2 plants in the tank today, which still have the bands on them since i was in a hurry when i added them. Tomorrow i will re-arrange them a bit better and get things fully situated.

There is a filter that used to be on a 20 gallon tank which is on low, which he actually seems to love as he plays in the water coming back into the tank. It also has a heater back in the corner since it is starting to keep rather nippy in my room at night.

My question is what next? I would like to find a tankmate he gets along with other then just the shrimp (which im happily surprised he hasn't eaten) and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas for anything else to do to the tank?

I do plan on switching to sand in all my tanks soon. I like the way it looks compared to the gravel, even though i really like the black and blue gravel we have now.

A picture for those visual types
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/OrionLeingod/IMG_8371.jpg

P.S. - The dying plant in front was from his first tank which had no water flow at all in it, and did not have proper lighting for plants. Hoping in this tank it will recover. i don't even know what it is. The back one is Moneywort. :19:

Red
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
I would move the heater down towards the gravel, just in case the water gets to low and its shatters... By the way good looking tank :)

Sharon
11-17-2008, 01:48 PM
That is one lucky Betta! Tankmates for Bettas are often decided by the personality of the individual Bettas. Some are more cantankerous than others. What have you tried? Pygmy Cories or Panda Cories may do well with him, as Corys stay on the bottom, as a rule...maybe Ottos....

JimTheBetta
11-17-2008, 06:41 PM
So far ive tried glowlight tettras and pygmy corys. The tettras started trying to nip at his fins, and the Corys got attacked by Jim when they got put in. Im starting to think other then trying to find some Red Cherry shrimp to add to the ghost shrimp he won't accept any other tankmates.

Kayla-Bug
11-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Since his individual attitude is more aggressive, I wouldn't put anything else in there with him. SOme Bettas can have buddies but others can't such as yours.

JimTheBetta
11-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Well the ghost shirmp are gone xD I woke up today and found one dead in the corner of the tank, and Jim spent the day hunting the other. It was kinda funny to watch, he kept stalking it through the tank, until he finally got ahold of it. He just took a bite out of both, and left them alone after that xD My little killer :D

I now think this is going to be a tank just for him.

Northernguy
11-19-2008, 05:54 AM
Thats too bad.I have a male beta in a 10 with an apple snail and 5 neons.Nobody bothers anybody.:19:
Thats a nice looking tank.

Wild Turkey
11-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Well the ghost shirmp are gone xD I woke up today and found one dead in the corner of the tank, and Jim spent the day hunting the other. It was kinda funny to watch, he kept stalking it through the tank, until he finally got ahold of it. He just took a bite out of both, and left them alone after that xD My little killer :D

I now think this is going to be a tank just for him.

Sorry to hear that, at least he will be happy with that big tank all to himself.

JimTheBetta
11-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Thats too bad.I have a male beta in a 10 with an apple snail and 5 neons.Nobody bothers anybody.:19:
Thats a nice looking tank.

ya know... i haven't even though of trying snails... Might be a bit harder for him to kill. Then again, i thought the shrimp which i never saw cause they were always hiding would be hard for him to kill cause he couldn't find em...