PDA

View Full Version : New Gar!

Demjor19
11-17-2008, 03:12 AM
An LFS near us has decided to sell off some of their display fish and they've had this beautiful Longnose Gar that I have had my eyes on for quite a while. Needless to say...when they were ready to sell him, i was there! The worker there was recommending a minimum tank size of 75 gallons!!!! this fish is 24" on the dot...that's ridiculous! He's currently being housed in my 180, but an upgrade to a 375 is planned for next summer. Here are a few pics. Hope you enjoy!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Reptile%20Show/DSCN0724.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Reptile%20Show/DSCN0723.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Reptile%20Show/DSCN0728.jpg

OscarFan
11-17-2008, 04:55 AM
Those are some awesome fish.

Wild Turkey
11-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Beautiful! :D

Northernguy
11-17-2008, 06:02 AM
That looks pretty cool.I always liked those fish.I have always thought about having some northern pike in a tank.It will happen one day.I am waiting till I find a bigger house.My kids rooms aren't big enough and I want to be able to see it in my living rm.

Halelorf
11-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Just out of curiosity how did you transport that monster from the fish store to your house? Did you carry it in that plastic container the whole trip?

dean30bb
11-17-2008, 06:41 AM
woah there awsome ive always wanted to have 1 or 2 but can they go in a 1200 ltr tank with oscars because ive heard storys of them banging into the glass and breaking there beak thing

Demjor19
11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone! This fish is a real joy to watch!

Just out of curiosity how did you transport that monster from the fish store to your house? Did you carry it in that plastic container the whole trip?

That's exactly how I transported him. The guy at the store wanted to cram him in a 5 gallon bucket!!! I stopped him just as he put the net in the water and told him i would go to walmart and buy a big rubbermaid. LFS workers never cease to amaze me!

woah there awsome ive always wanted to have 1 or 2 but can they go in a 1200 ltr tank with oscars because ive heard storys of them banging into the glass and breaking there beak thing

I'm not sure off hand how large a 1200 L tank is, but they do not mix well with cichlids in general. Gar are best kept with larger passive tankmates...preferably other Gar, Bichirs, and Silver Arowana tend to do well with Gar. What you heard about Gar and spinal injuries is correct.

Halelorf
11-17-2008, 05:21 PM
That's exactly how I transported him. The guy at the store wanted to cram him in a 5 gallon bucket!!! I stopped him just as he put the net in the water and told him i would go to walmart and buy a big rubbermaid. LFS workers never cease to amaze me!

I'm not sure off hand how large a 1200 L tank is, but they do not mix well with cichlids in general. Gar are best kept with larger passive tankmates...preferably other Gar, Bichirs, and Silver Arowana tend to do well with Gar. What you heard about Gar and spinal injuries is correct.

You should see if that employee would like to be transported to work in a suitcase. A 5 gallon bucket, what a knuckle head. Using google 1200L is around 315 gallons. Get more pics when your kraken settles into the tank. Gorgeous fish you have there.

Demjor19
11-17-2008, 05:54 PM
You should see if that employee would like to be transported to work in a suitcase. A 5 gallon bucket, what a knuckle head. Using google 1200L is around 315 gallons. Get more pics when your kraken settles into the tank. Gorgeous fish you have there.

Thanks! This is definitely one of the most attractive Longnose specimens I have seen! I'll be sure to get some better in tanks pics after I get home. He was already eating pellets and shrimp last night, so he seems to be settling quite well! I was very impressed by that. Longnose tend to be one of the more skittish of the gar species.

Thanks again for the compliments!

PzykoSkillz
06-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Where's some updated pics, Jordan? This is Davey_8313 from MFK...

Algenco
06-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I have a 49" long nose gar on the wall, have saw a few over 60"

Brookfish
06-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Beautiful fish mate, very nice pick up!

Demjor19
06-04-2009, 02:36 AM
I actually re-homed this fish a little while ago. I'm having a slight change in direction with some of my tanks...

Thanks for the interest though!

Crispy
06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
gars are awesome! great choice of fish dem! they are fairly easy to catch in the wild here.... always wanted to keep a few with an arowana. Hafta wait till I get something bigger than a 130.

Demjor19
06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
gars are awesome! great choice of fish dem! they are fairly easy to catch in the wild here.... always wanted to keep a few with an arowana. Hafta wait till I get something bigger than a 130.

Thanks! I still have a few of them!

I'm going on a fishing trip to upstate New York in just over a week and we always catch some nice longnose up there. If I catch any specimens under 12"...I may bring one back. They are too hard to aquarium train much beyond that size. Either way...I'll post some pics of the Gar and Bowfin should we catch any!

Also...I have my gars with a Silver Arowana and they get along fine, however I am begining to find it difficult to get food to my gar. The Aro is just too fast for them to compete with.

Northernguy
06-08-2009, 01:59 PM
That sure sounds like a fun tank!A long tube to drop the food down lower may help.
Arowanas arent greedy are they! lol:19:

robflanker
06-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Cool pictures!

I saw a River Monsters episode on Alligator Gar, and i've been interested in them since. I'm in no place to get one, but I can live vicariously (spelling is wrong I know) through people's pictures :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
06-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Cool pictures!

I saw a River Monsters episode on Alligator Gar, and i've been interested in them since. I'm in no place to get one, but I can live vicariously (spelling is wrong I know) through people's pictures :hmm3grin2orange:

Its not quite as fun and a lot cheaper and easier too! lol:hmm3grin2orange:

Demjor19
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
My arowana is the most selfish fish I have ever kept! It would be easier to take food from my Black Rhom than from the Silver! I've even tried attaching food to a feeding stick and she just dives down and ripps it from the stick! All I can do is stuff her with her 12+ shrimp, then start feeding the gar...