PDA

View Full Version : Weird Coloring worse

NocturnalSiren
11-16-2008, 06:14 AM
Ok it's gotten worse and not better. Could it be a fungus or something else that maybe I don't know about? At This rate he won't have any color to him, which can't be good.

OscarFan
11-16-2008, 06:19 AM
That picture is not good enough to tell to much. But from what I can see is its a pleco of some sort and the discoloring is orange. Correct me if its wrong. To pinpoint the problem we need to know:
what species is it??
is the discoloring fuzzy??
what is the tank size??
what are your water parameters??

Lady Hobbs
11-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I wonder if it could be Velvet?

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm

NocturnalSiren
11-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Ok it's a 20 gal long tank been established for two years. He's a royal pleco and I've had him at least 4 months, probably longer and this just started happening about 2 to 3 weeks ago. The discoloration on him isn't fuzzy. He should be gray and black stripped and it's almost gone. I feed him some cucumber with algae waffers. I've tried the Melafix and that didn't do anything for him. His tank mates are two snails and two dino eels and no one is new. He seems to eat just fine. Granted I don't see him do it but he's not sunkin in anywhere. I don't have a way to test the chemistry of the water but I haven't changed anything or put new stuff in it. And I think if it was Velvet disease that starts with a white bump and spreads and he's had nothing of the sort. It just started around his eyes and spread.

Northernguy
11-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Take a sample to lfs and get it tested!
How often do you do your water changes and how much?
Get yourself a good test kit,they are neccesary.

NocturnalSiren
11-16-2008, 03:10 PM
40 % every two weeks

gm72
11-16-2008, 03:36 PM
1. A test kit in this hobby is not optional, it is required.
2. Change 40% of your water weekly.

Northernguy
11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Weekly water changes are neccesary .They need fresh water like you need fresh air.The filter can only do so much!