PDA

View Full Version : Green Puffer

OscarFan
11-16-2008, 05:49 AM
I have my 25g breeder that I have been wanting to make a drastic change in the stocking. And today someone on the good ol craigslist is giving away a green spotted puffer. So I have a few questions.
1. The guy has him listed as freshwater but they are brackish. If I switch him from fresh to brackish would that hurt him??
2. If I switched my tank from fresh to brackish would that kill the cycle??
3. It is live planted somewhat. I know this is a long shot but would they be able to handle the change?? If not would they be able to handle a 70 degree Goldfish tank??
4.Do you use the same salt for Brackish as Saltwater??

Dave66
11-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Oscar,
The puffer needs brackish as it ages. I wouldn't put a year-old specimen in pure freshwater. You can very slowly change it's water to brackish for its continued health. I'd go up a thousandth of a point once a week, like from a pure water 1.000 to 1.001, to 1.002, etc. Aim for 1.015 ultimately. Going that slow the bacteria will adapt, so the cycle should be intact. Make sure to test frequently for ammonia, etc. The plants can't adapt in any case, so you can take them out and use them in another tank. 70 is a bit too cool for tropical plants, so no on the goldfish. Wouldn't matter anyway, because the goldfish would eat the plants.
And yes, you use marine salt. Brackish is a mix of fresh and salt water, like that in mangrove swamps.

Dave

OscarFan
11-16-2008, 06:16 AM
I just read that they need full marine water when they get fully grown. Is this true?? And is their any big way to treat a brackish tank thats different from fw. And right now im assuming my 25g is ok. And for the plants my only option then would be a 2g beta tank or a new toy for my oscar :c2:.
Now my original stocking is:
3 tbs
1 zebra danio
1 pictus
3 harleuins
5 otos
Ive been meaning to give the pictus and danio for a while. And dont have room for the tbs. So ill set my 10g or 20 hex depending on room using filter media from my Oscar tank and put the remaining ones in their.

OscarFan
11-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Just read that they need 1.010-1.025 when full grown. So ill get 1.015 like dave says.

sanddigger
11-22-2008, 06:07 AM
your GSP will need a SG of 1.23-.025 when it's six inches. Yes at that point they do go full marine.
It is very gradual. And GSP are very, very slow growing. More-so than Calvus. (Sorrry side comment, my sunset calvus are looking good)

SG 1-2 Inches: .010-.015 (feed every day), 2-4 inches: SG .015-.020, (Feed every other day). 4-6 inches .015-.023 (Feed every two days).

Please remember this has to do with each GSP, how they grow, and what you feed(remeber snails, lots of crunchy stuff, keep the beak down) them. The SG really shouldn't increase more than two points ata time with WC.

Again, I will recommend a refractometer as I stated in the past for the most accurate SG readings. (Dave 66 has too) You will enjoy your GSP as I do my "Puff Guy" they are just are personable as Oscars. Actually I have Puff Guy in my Bdrm to wake up to every AM.