PDA

View Full Version : ADF and female bettas?

gourami*girl
11-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Hello all,

I went with my sister to the LFS today to buy some equipment to set up a 5 gallon betta tank for her dorm room. During this visit she developed some ideas about stocking her tank, and I told her I'd run them by the brilliant betta keepers on here to see if they are feasible.

She saw a vase with an african dwarf frog (ADF) and immediately fell in love. When I told her they can be kept with bettas she was overjoyed and wants to get one for her tank.

She likes female bettas better than the male ones and is interested in getting two if it would be OK.

* So here's the questions:
1) Would 2 female bettas and an ADF be too much for a 5 gallon tank with a filter approved for up to 15 gallons?
2) Any suggestions about keeping bettas, ADF's, and both together?
3) What betta foods would you recommend?
4) How would you stock this? (ie. two bettas wait then add ADF, or add all together?)

Thanks for your answers in advance!

lovleeko
11-15-2008, 10:00 PM
two females will not work out. They have to have a pecking order to work and two can't have a pecking order. Sources say that a betta can be paired with a dwarf frog but make sure it is not clawed frog. I have never tried it myself and haven't had much luck pairing bettas even the females, despite my betta experience. I have been keeping bettas since I was a kid and have tried quite a few females and find that they don't pair together like people say. I have a few females who wont pair with anything. Though I have not tried a dwarf frog with them. I can almost guarantee that two of my ladies would not have it. Though if you could find a betta breeder to buy from, sometimes they keep their females together and they are sometimes already being kept in community tanks or betta sororities. That could work out much better. Though I know finding a breeder is not always the easiest thing to do. And most new to the hobby could care less about that. But as with anything, it depends on the betta. So in conclusion, after all the ripped up fins I have seen with my trying to pair, I would say tell her to try the frog but not more than one betta. Hope this helps some. :)

Sharon
11-15-2008, 10:34 PM
I agree...two females won't work. A five gallon is probably big enough for one Betta. I have five females in a 10gal. tank, and that is working well. Don't suppose there's roonm at the dorm to go for a 10 gal instead?
I feed all my Bettas a varied diet including betta flakes, pellets, bloodworm, mysis shrimp, and peas.

gourami*girl
11-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the responses.

She's already bought everything for the 5 gallon, and it was a spare tank that I gave her, so it does look like she'll be sticking with the 5 gallon.

I'll let her know what you both said about two female bettas being a problem. We'll see about the ADF, she really likes the idea but evidently her roommate is "freaked out by frogs."

Thanks again for the advice!

jd6405
11-16-2008, 02:38 AM
I have a 5 gallon with a male betta and an ADF along with 4 dwarf platys and a mystery snail. They are all getting along VERY well!

gourami*girl
11-16-2008, 02:43 AM
Hmm, interesting thought...

What would everyone think of a female betta and another type of small fish in the five gallon? My LFS just starting carrying pygmy cories (SO CUTE!!!) although my sis wasn't as enammored with them as I was, lol.

But to give her some options if her roommate really is that against a frog, could she do some small tetras like neons or glolights or pygmy cories as mentioned before? (I haven't seen dwarf plattys, but I'll check next time we're there)

Thanks!

Edit: also, should everyone go in at the same time, or should she stock little by little if she goes this route (or even with the betta and ADF)

lovleeko
11-16-2008, 03:16 AM
Five gallon gives such limited options as to what can go in there. I definitely don't think pairing the females in there will work because there would have to be three or more and they would constantly be in each others face.A pygmy cory could definitely work. Most bettas leave bottom feeders be but certainly not all. She will have to make sure she has something to do with one if the pair doesn't work. I have one female who pairs with practically anything. She has been in with cherry barbs, bleeding heart tetras, gold barbs and cardinals. Right now she is with the bleeding hearts and the barbs.

I would say definitely add the betta last. Same thing goes for pairing females together or with other species. That way she wont have a chance to be territorial. However, it may not work still. It all depends on the betta. I have had it go off without a hitch, and have had some ripped up fish. But be optimistic. It could definitely work. I went back and forth before I tried. Like I said I have some "killer" bettas and some who could care less about there tank mates.

What I meant with pairing females is that it is best done when the tank is new to everyone.:) Sorry about not making sense there. LOL:laugh1blue:

Hmm, interesting thought...

What would everyone think of a female betta and another type of small fish in the five gallon? My LFS just starting carrying pygmy cories (SO CUTE!!!) although my sis wasn't as enammored with them as I was, lol.

But to give her some options if her roommate really is that against a frog, could she do some small tetras like neons or glolights or pygmy cories as mentioned before? (I haven't seen dwarf plattys, but I'll check next time we're there)

Thanks!

Edit: also, should everyone go in at the same time, or should she stock little by little if she goes this route (or even with the betta and ADF)

OscarFan
11-16-2008, 05:36 AM
Like Oscars it varies on the beta if they will pair or not. But female betas get substantially larger and I would not put 2 in a 5g. I would also not put any schoolers in a 5g because they are often quite active and a 5g does not have a whole lot of room. ADF are very cool and cute animals. Even if yo hate frogs it is easy to fall in love with these little guys. in a 5g with good filtration you could get 2 and possibly even 3. Just make sure the tank is covered really well, or the roommate might actually have something to be freaked out about.

Northernguy
11-16-2008, 03:22 PM
I tried 2 female betas in a 10gal. with an apple snail.They teamed up and tore the feelers off of him.They were just mean hunters.
I got rid of them when I put tetras in the tank and they killed 3 of them in a few hrs.I have had more luck with males.
A 5gal would be good for one male and some shrimp or a small apple snail.
Its too small for tetras.

gourami*girl
11-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks again for all the comments,

I'll try to steer her towards pygmy cories or an ADF to go with her betta. We'll probably go to the LFS on Tuesday to pick her fish up. I'll keep you all updated on how her tank is doing!

cer
11-17-2008, 01:30 AM
Just Get One Beta And Maybe 2 Frogs

OscarFan
11-17-2008, 01:51 AM
I would not go with any cories the tank is to small.

themuffinbandit
11-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Actually, I have to female bettas together right now. lol. SO, IT CAN be done. They do fight occasionally, but more or less, they hunt together and eat my neon tetras. =( i had 10 neons.... not anymore. now i have 0 =(

gourami*girl
11-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I would not go with any cories the tank is to small.

Even pygmy cories? I have heard that a 5 gallon is OK for a few of them. They stay less than 1 inch.

Kayla-Bug
11-17-2008, 08:43 PM
When putting females together in the same tank, 1. you will need a bigger tank 2. you will need more females. The aggression will be bad if you keep those 2 together in a small tank. When you have more females the aggression will be spread out instead on just that one female. And IMO, the frog will depend on the attitude of the Betta. If he is aggressive and flares at the frog, then that's a no no. I had one do that and the Betta wouldn't flare at anything else in the tank except for the frog. He harrassed the frog so much and would bite at him. I had to move the frog because he wouldn't stop. I really wouldn't put the frog in there anyways since the tank is only a 5 gallon. I had problems with my 2 and they were in a 20 gallon. IMO, I would only put 1 female in the small 5 unless there is a bigger tank avaliable. A 20 with several females would make a good sorority.

gourami*girl
11-17-2008, 08:52 PM
When putting females together in the same tank, 1. you will need a bigger tank 2. you will need more females. The aggression will be bad if you keep those 2 together in a small tank. When you have more females the aggression will be spread out instead on just that one female. And IMO, the frog will depend on the attitude of the Betta. If he is aggressive and flares at the frog, then that's a no no. I had one do that and the Betta wouldn't flare at anything else in the tank except for the frog. He harrassed the frog so much and would bite at him. I had to move the frog because he wouldn't stop. I really wouldn't put the frog in there anyways since the tank is only a 5 gallon. I had problems with my 2 and they were in a 20 gallon. IMO, I would only put 1 female in the small 5 unless there is a bigger tank avaliable. A 20 with several females would make a good sorority.

Thanks for the advice Kayla-Bug! At this point it looks like my sister will be putting one female betta in the five gallon, and the ADF will probably not happen because her roommate is "freaked out by frogs."

What would you think about a small school of pygmy cories for the bottom of the tank? She has rocks, artifical plants, and a good sized piece of driftwood in her tank so they would have plenty of places to hide. Everyone else please weigh in also!

Northernguy
11-18-2008, 02:23 PM
How did you get a good sized piece of driftwood in a tank that small?
You are better off with plants,they take up less swimming room.
Do you have any pics of the tank?

gourami*girl
11-18-2008, 04:55 PM
How did you get a good sized piece of driftwood in a tank that small?
You are better off with plants,they take up less swimming room.
Do you have any pics of the tank?

I should have qualified... a good sized piece of driftwood for the size of tank, lol. It's mostly close to the substrate, so there's still plenty of swimming room.

I know my sister doesn't have a camera in her dorm, and I am still working on figuring out my camera (I think I need to adjust the shutter speed), so no pics yet. Sorry northernguy!

Kayla-Bug
11-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the advice Kayla-Bug! At this point it looks like my sister will be putting one female betta in the five gallon, and the ADF will probably not happen because her roommate is "freaked out by frogs."

What would you think about a small school of pygmy cories for the bottom of the tank? She has rocks, artifical plants, and a good sized piece of driftwood in her tank so they would have plenty of places to hide. Everyone else please weigh in also! Your welcome. And I don't know too much about Cories since the only ones I have kept are albino. And if you could get a pic it would help us determine what she could put in there. thumbs2:

gourami*girl
11-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

We went to the LFS yesterday to pick up my sister's fish. Because the information on keeping pygmy cories and bettas together was somewhat conflictory, we asked the very knowledgable owner of the fish store what he thought about the idea. He said he thought it would be fine to get a small group of pygmy cories as long as the tank had a filter and heater (which it does).

So she picked up a cute little trio of pygmy cories (I'm wanting some myself now, lol) and a beautiful white and blue female betta. She's going to name her betta "Flurries" because of it's coloring and because we had our first showfall of the year yesterday.

I'm not sure if there will be any pictures (sorry northernguy) because I can't even get good pics of my tank.

So she's loving her tank, and thanks for everyone for helping me help her with this. Maybe we've got a new aquarium enthusiast in the making. :19: