PDA

View Full Version : Torn Tail?

saurjusa
11-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi all, I hope you can help me understand what is going on. I have a Betta in a tank with some tankmates, 11 Neon Tetras and 2 Peppered Corys. Yesyerday when I got home I found the betta missing most of his tail. I know I can't keep an eye ALL the time on the tank but I do look at them a lot and never noticed any aggressive behaviour in them. The only thing is once in a while Neons would wack at each other but never the betta. Can this be due to the tank mates bullying on the Betta? Or might it be a desease.

My tank is a 15Gallon, I do 30% water changes every two or three weeks, I've yet to see ammonia in my tank after the ammonia spike on during cycling. Water temperature ranges from 25 to 27 °C (77-80°F).

The betta is hiding more often now but still roams the entire tank when he is not hiding and I've never seen him dart away from other fish. I've searched the tank for the torn tail but to no avail.

Last water change was made saturday 11/1, I little against my own will and as a suggestion from a friend, I used for the first time chemicals on my tank. After the change and scrubbing of all my plastic plants, I added a tablet of Tank Buddies, No More Algae to get rid of a brown/red growth occuring on all my plastic plants.

I run a 100 Watt Heater and a HOB Filter, the cartridge for the filter I also changed last week.

I think that is all the information I can give. Can any one help?

Here's a picture of the torn tail
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k332/saurjusa_bucket/Pecera/ReyReyTornTail.jpg

Thanks for any help... :confused:

gm72
11-15-2008, 05:53 PM
I edited the above post to remove the tetra ich issue as the poster initiated a separate thread to contain that information.

Kayla-Bug
11-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Tetras are nippy so it could be the tetras while you are not looking. He also could be biting his own tail out of stress from the other tankmates. With that many tetras something is bound to go wrong with the betta in there with them. I would isolate him and medicate him fast or it could turn into an infection. I'd try and get some jungle fungus eliminator and some aquarium salt to dose him with. See how he acts after you remove him and medicate him. I would also increase your water changes. It would really help him get better as well.