PDA

View Full Version : Angel eggs and light...

nwnittany
11-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, another botched batch of angel eggs.

This time, the pair laid the eggs on the filter intake tube, a few inches below the water line (my swords aren't very tall now, so I guess this was the next best place).

On a hunch, I kept the lights on all night and to my surprise, the eggs were still there in the morning. In my infinite wisdom, I thought it would be best to nix the lights during the day, since the room gets some indirect sunlight and I didn't want an algae outbreak.

No more than 5 minutes after I turned off the lights, the eggs were gone.

??? Anyone know what is going on ? Is it common practice to leave the lights on all the time ?

Fishalicious
11-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Some Angels panic and eat the eggs as the lights go off as a defense mechanism.... what you can do is put a night light spot in the tank near where the eggs are or even a small night light near the tank at night is enough to give them security.

nwnittany
11-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Some Angels panic and eat the eggs as the lights go off as a defense mechanism.... what you can do is put a night light spot in the tank near where the eggs are or even a small night light near the tank at night is enough to give them security.

That's good to know. Me and the angels will get it right one of these times !

DrNic
11-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I agree with nwnittany, sudden changes in light conditions can make angels that are new to breeding nervous and result in eaten eggs. Some people just leave the light on 24h a day. I found this was WAY to stressful on the parents, and there are some documented cases where it can actually change the patterning and coloring of the fish as well.

Another option is to run outdoor xmas lights around the tank hung from suction cups.

I get the impression that these are new parents. Odds are after a few lays they will probably start doing better. One other way to help keep the parents from eating the eggs to to make sure they have a safe place to lay. If you add a laying slate, some PVC pipe, or even just an upside down terracotta (sp?) pot it will give the fish a secure location to lay until your plants come in.

Demi ^_^
11-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Great posts Nic, very informative! :))

I agree with all the above. My #1 pair of Angels has had 4 broods, all of which were eaten during the night, so I thank for that bit of information!

nwnittany
11-26-2008, 06:30 PM
As expected, the pair is giving it another try.

I left on all of the tank lights during the first night. And, the good news is the eggs made it through the night.

I have a small LED-based night light that emits a blue-ish light positioned very close to the eggs. I'm debating whether or not to just leave the entire light set on until I hopefully see some tails wiggling, or, to risk it and try it with the main lights off and just the night light.

I'm a bit worried about the overall stress of the tank (this isn't just a breeding tank). But, this should just be a few days, right ?

Northernguy
11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
I would try the night light idea.Leaving the lights on all night is hard on the fish and will stress them out more.
Good Luck!

Algenco
11-26-2008, 07:40 PM
my pairs don't eat the eggs after lights out.
Could it be other inhabitants?
You need to stay away from the tank, most people get excited and spend more time than usual up close observing, this could be seen as a threat.

nwnittany
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
my pairs don't eat the eggs after lights out.
Could it be other inhabitants?
You need to stay away from the tank, most people get excited and spend more time than usual up close observing, this could be seen as a threat.

Well, I can't definitively claim it was the parents who ate them. The pair has only had three sets of eggs, and someone suggested that inexperienced parents can get nervous/stressed and eat the eggs themselves, so this is what I assumed.

I'm going to stick with the full lights another night, I think (although, it seems like I can see the algae growing before my eyes).

Good advice about staying away from the tank. The good news is the tank is very quiet during the day (everyone out of the house) and aside from an occasional peek and nightly feeding, we've tried to stay away from the tank.

Anyone have any experience in moving the fry to a smaller, isolated tank ? Ie, when and/or if to do it ?

Algenco
11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Well, I can't definitively claim it was the parents who ate them. The pair has only had three sets of eggs, and someone suggested that inexperienced parents can get nervous/stressed and eat the eggs themselves, so this is what I assumed.

I'm going to stick with the full lights another night, I think (although, it seems like I can see the algae growing before my eyes).

Good advice about staying away from the tank. The good news is the tank is very quiet during the day (everyone out of the house) and aside from an occasional peek and nightly feeding, we've tried to stay away from the tank.

Anyone have any experience in moving the fry to a smaller, isolated tank ? Ie, when and/or if to do it ?

And you may be right.
I recently had a pair of Koi angels spawn in a community tank and they did wonderful, first spawn and I took 100 babies from them.
I've noticed that some fish do better if there is at least one other fish in the tank, they focus on guarding the eggs/fry from that fish and do better.

I have a marble pair that have raised 6 spawns, I recently moved their tank and they ate the first 3 batch's of eggs, they have fry now.

nwnittany
11-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Easy come, easy go. Another batch is gone. I left the lights on again last night and there will still some eggs this morning. But maybe half as many as when I first noticed them, and I'd only noticed a few snowballs, so I suspect someone was eating them.

The parents were still defending them as of just an hour or so before I noticed they were gone.

The only happening out of the ordinary was that I re-planted a plant that was uprooted during the night.

Oh well....I'm sure we'll give it a another try in a few weeks !