PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Rams Towards Discus And Others

shiv
11-15-2008, 05:13 AM
I have 6 German Rams along with other Tetra's and Discus.I have noticed 2 of them 'getting friendly'.Since i don't know how to sex Rams i'm guessing they are both of the opposite sex as they have now become territorial and fight eachother when the other oversteps his boundry.Today a little food fell into one of the Rams territory and i notice him chasing away all other fish including the bigger Discus and won't let anybody near his space.Is this a sign that he/she is ready to breed?
Please help....
Thanks,
Shiv

Wild Turkey
11-15-2008, 05:16 AM
i see ur tank is 4 ft. how many gallons is it?

shiv
11-15-2008, 05:18 AM
212ltrs would be 56gallons odd.. :(

Wild Turkey
11-15-2008, 05:19 AM
Im beginning to think it may just be agression, whats the full stock of the tank? (all the fish)

shiv
11-15-2008, 05:23 AM
12 Rainbow Tetra's
6 German Rams
12 Discus
2 Common Pleco's
2 Zebra Danio's

shiv
11-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Should i seperate the Rams from the Discus as i don't want this aggression to continue and disturb the Discus?

Wild Turkey
11-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but if your tank is roughly 55 gallons you are way over stocked and it is quite possible that this is the cause of the aggression.

Other members correct me if im wrong but

Plecos get up to 2 ft and they need 75+
12 Discus is about twice as many as you can fit comfortably in a 55 if they are the biggest fish. (no plecs)
Another minor issue is ur Zebra danios need a school of 6+ optimally.

Hope that helps, i know its not great news.

shiv
11-15-2008, 05:30 AM
At the moment my Discus are just 3 1/2 inches in size and i will move them to another tank as they grow.I realise too that my tank is overcrowded.This aggression with the Rams i've never seen before.

Wild Turkey
11-15-2008, 08:05 AM
It could be that youve never seen this behavior before since your fish are still growing and becoming increasingly cramped.

I would hope they arent breeding. If so its possible they will bully the discus to death as they are easily stressed.

Kula
11-15-2008, 09:10 AM
I have four rams in my 55g, and they are territorial with each other, but 90% of the time they stick to their respective territories. In your case, the aggression could be the result of fluctuating water parameters. Have you moved anything in the tank recently? If your rams had all picked out territories and then you changed them around, they will have to re-sort, which means you'll see them fight over new territories until they get things settled. Mine did this today after I trimmed some plants. Six rams in that size tank seems a bit crowded to me!

Other stuff you might want to know, though you may already know it:
Common plecos get to be huge (24 inches)!
Even though your danios may look fine, they really do need to be in a school.
That's a lot of discuses for a 56g tank!

Lady Hobbs
11-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Way overstocked! You need to either be buying some fish tanks or selling some fish.

Northernguy
11-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I completely agree here.
You will soon have fish fighting steady and even dying for no apparent reason.
Your fish are getting way over stressed.
Rehome half your discus and your pleco.
Haven't you ever been on an elevator or a bus that is way overcrowded on a really hot day with no air conditioning.All you want to do is bust out of there and you care about no one.
Thats kinda what you are putting your fish through!

dean30bb
11-15-2008, 10:53 PM
i notised that you seid you have a pleco in your tank. its not a very good idea for pleco to go with discus as they tend to suck onto the side of the discus because of there mucasy coat over them and can cause deaths to your discus

cer
11-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Agreesion Try Putting Some Fish In Separate Tanks And Try To Sex Them

Wild Turkey
11-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I hate to be blunt, but should ur sig really say "TAKE MY ADVICE!!!!!!"
when your stocking looks like this?;

Aquarium 1:
10 gallon corys tetras barbs swordtails

Aquarium 2:
30 gallon no fish in it yet

Aquarium 3:
50 gallon 2 plecos 10 tetras and 1 snakeskin gourami

Nothing personal, just making a point

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-16-2008, 01:46 PM
How long have you had your Discus? Like everyone else has said, you have way too many fish in your tank. Your Rams may very well be breeding and with that many fish in the tank, it will be virtually impossible for them to stay out of their territory, you don't need to be waiting for your fish to grow, you need to be moving fish around and getting another tank now, not later.

travie
11-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Stock the tank you have, not the one you plan to have.