PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Goldfish died unknown death?

EveTheFishWoman :D
11-14-2008, 04:32 AM
okay here is what happened....

My mom takes care of our pearl goldfish's tank, and it was getting moldy at the bottom, and there was (as usual) 30 billion worms on the tank walls.
There were 2 sucker fish in the tank with him. He was really round and fat and about 2 inches long.

Not much later, the goldfish started 'laying' in the plants we had in the cage.
Everyone thought he was sleeping, but i dont think fish sleep like that.
But anyway, whenever he was laying in the bushes, i would tap on the tank, and he would jump up and start swimming around really fast.

Not much later on, he wouldnt swim around when you tapped on the tank. It looked like he was dead, but he was still alive.
He lost his appeite completely.
My mom thought it was the dirty water that was killing him, so she put him in a bucket of clean water with clean plants, and fed him.
Only the next day he got worse.
He wouldnt even move, and when i would touch him to see if he was dead or not, he didnt try to swim away.
My mom started moving him around for him because she said they swim for oxygen, but it didnt work.
The next day he was dead.
???
I have NO idea what he could have died from, but here were 2 things we noticed and did different:
Changed his food to non-colored food.
He started to loose his white color, and it became a dingy yellow

If you any of you could try your best to answer this, it would help me A LOT to counter it with my future goldfish.
Did he eat some of the worms, and are they poisonous?
Was the tank too moldy?
Was it the food?

Help!
I am sorry for the bad explaining!

Thanks!

Wiggs
11-14-2008, 04:36 AM
How often did you do water changes? Was it dirty simply from lack of maintenance?

11-14-2008, 04:39 AM
How often did you do water changes? Was it dirty simply from lack of maintenance?

No my mom did fresh water changes every week.
I think the food at the bottom was really old and moldy and...fuzzy.

But when she stuck him in the bucket, it was only for overnight, because in the morning, she was going to clean the tank out completely.