PDA

View Full Version : Butchery?!?!?!?

Poofaye C.
11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Just want some opinions.......
I visited my local ma & pa shop yesterday. I always get pretty good deals, but even better advise there. We're talking about crayfish when I ask about tank size in order to house two. I tell him I don't want them fighting to the death. He then drops a bomb on me. Tells me as long as I trim the pinchers they might have minor conflicts, but won't be able to kill one another.
He explains how to properly execute this procedure. You know, the humane way. He goes on to further explain, by doing this, I would be able to put a few in my community tank.
Am I nuts here?!? Is this not cruel?!!?
I use to have a large mouth bass for a while. The only reason I didn't feed him crayfish is, he wasn't but about 4". I didn't know when bass ate crawdads in the wild, age wise. I was worried about thoose pinchers. People told me to trimthe pinchers for that. I did take that into consideration.
So wha cha'll think about trimming crayfish pinchers, either for compatibility or feeding purposes?

Wild Turkey
11-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Sounds pretty cruel to me. Somewhat like de-clawing a cat, at the very least ur taking away its defense and its gonna stress it. I have no clue what physical effects it will have on the crayfish though..Id do some research before i considered it

Algenco
11-13-2008, 04:14 PM
It would have no ill effect, they loose them fighting quite often, the will grow new ones.
I wouldn't condone the practice

Demi ^_^
11-13-2008, 08:51 PM
I could never to the practise to a Yabby, but I have caught many in dams that have one claw or none.

Northernguy
11-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I have never heard of taking them off.I think its a rediculous practice.
I tried searching the net and found nothing about trimming claws.
Apparently you can keep 3 females together but if a male is put in they will al fight to the death.

Mvjnz
11-14-2008, 01:33 AM
I don't think you should have to trim the claws to be able to keep them. Even if they lose them regularly anyway and it doesn't harm them, it's still pretty stupid to decide to keep them trimmed just so you can keep them in a tank with things they are not supposed to be kept with. I would have thought that their claws are part of their cool looks.