PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn

labnjab
11-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm going to be picking up a clown for the owner of a local reef club this weekend, and he is also trading me some of my softie frags that I have doubles of for a small frogspawn that he says should be a good starter LPS. He says that it should do good in my pc lights, and I've cleared off a spot with a 6-8 inch clearing around where I will put it because I've read they are agressive and need to be atleast 6 inches away from other corals.

Other then monitoring calcium and alkilinity and keeping those levels in check, is there any other pointers for keeping frogspawn. What should it be fed and how often? I've read that they can sting humans on one site, how likely is this to happen?

Thank you for any help

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Frowspawns are easy to care for. Technically they do not even need to be fed however they will benefit from being fed mysis once a week. Your PC lights will be just fine for this coral. Just be sure to put it in an area of low flow. Like most LPS, Frogspawns do not like lots of flow, and too much flow can damage the polyps. I've never personally been stung by a Frogspawn but they do have rather potent nemocysts so I'd use caution handling it. Also, keep in mind that these corals do get rather large. Colonies of Frogspawn will reach up to just over 3 feet. At some point you are going to need to frag it to contain it in your tank.

labnjab
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Thank you. I'm glad I asked, lol I read on a few sites they liked moderate to heavy flow, but I can shuffle a few frags around and get it into low flow and still be a litttle higher up and a decent distance away from other coral. Its nice that frags haven't taken hold to the live rock yet. I will be ready to cut everything back when the time comes. I'll also invest in a pair of rubber gloves to keep form a potential sting. I'll post some pictures when I get it

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Stick it in the substrate. Frogspawn are not true reef corals. They will do well on the bottom of the tank.

labnjab
11-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I wish I had that option, lol, With 48lbs of LR I'd have to rearrange the whole tank to have any decent spot on the bottom. I think I have a perfect spot for it once I move a mushroom frag though. I'm gonna get rid of a few frags too, so it will have plenty of room

kaybee
11-13-2008, 11:20 PM
...I've read that they can sting humans...how likely is this to happen?

Almost any LPS coral with extended tentacles will attempt to engage live objects which come in contact with it (mainly as a feeding reflex), if in contact with these it's just a 'sticky' feeling.

It's the sweeper tentacles that you want to be wary of. The skin on your palms is typically thick enough render you immune to their nematocysts. The back of your hands is what you want to avoid the sweeper tentacles gaining contact with.

labnjab
11-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Almost any LPS coral with extended tentacles will attempt to engage live objects which come in contact with it (mainly as a feeding reflex), if in contact with these it's just a 'sticky' feeling.

It's the sweeper tentacles that you want to be wary of. The skin on your palms is typically thick enough render you immune to their nematocysts. The back of your hands is what you want to avoid the sweeper tentacles gaining contact with.

Thank you for that info. I'll be picking it up on Sunday, along with a pair of O clowns. I read about the sweepers, that why I'm gonna put in a good distance away from anything else. I'm a mechanic with calloused hands so my palms are pretty tough. I'll also watch the back of my hand. If I do get stung, how painful is it...like a beesting, or less painful? I haven't had anything in my tanks before that could possibly cause bodily harm, lol

unleashed
11-14-2008, 07:16 PM
It depends on your own body. Some may find it hurts more than others. However, some corals like fire corals will hurt anybody...

Just use a google image search and look up "fire coral sting" and see what they can do

cocoa_pleco
11-14-2008, 08:41 PM
like unleashed said, depends on the person. some people cannot handle zoanthinds because of allergies

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Cocoa, the zoanthid reaction isn't an allergic one. Zoanthids release a toxin. The severity of the reaction depends on the person, but everyone reacts to it.

Something else to be aware of with Cniderian stings. Unlike some things, you don't actually become immune to it. The more you get stung, the worse your reaction will get.

cocoa_pleco
11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
weird, ive always been told its a allergy, and that if youve accidentally touched zoas and you had no reaction, youre fine. i heard of a guy who got shot in the eye with zoa juice

before i knew zoas had a toxin, i handled them barehanded with no issues, now i always use gloves

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-14-2008, 10:11 PM
I know a guy who started a siphon by mouth and didn't realize the tube was on his Zoa colony. He spent the weekend in the Emergency room. :(

labnjab
11-14-2008, 11:14 PM
That sucks. I don't use a glove, but I immediately wash my hands after handling them (zoas) and I use hand sanitizer. I'll use some extra caution around the frogspawn though. I don't want to find out I'm allergic to it and end up in the hospital

kaybee
11-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Palytoxin (the toxin zonathids produce) is no joke, it's very potent. I too know of a person who got squirted in the eye with 'juice' from a zoanthid (happened during fragging). Resulted in a trip to the ER.

When I worked at the LFS it was mandatory that we wear gloves and eye protection when fragging zoa's.

Some people do have increased sensitivies to corals; another person I knew was very sensitive to torch corals (a relative of the frogspawn coral).

labnjab
11-14-2008, 11:50 PM
When i start fragging zoas i will be sure to were gloves and eye protection. I saw some pictures of peoples eyes when sprayed with zoa juice, and it doesn't look fun.

When the time comes, how difficult is it to frag frogspwan, because I know I will have to cut it down eventually

kaybee
11-23-2008, 06:46 AM
...how difficult is it to frag frogspwan, because I know I will have to cut it down eventually

The branching type (euphyllia paradivisa) is fairly easy to frag when the branching has become significant.

Non-branching frogspawn (euphyllia divisa) may be more difficult to frag due to the skeletal structure of the coral, with a greater risk of damaging the polyps and living coral tissue.