PDA

View Full Version : where to put it?

iluvprettyfish
01-19-2007, 05:44 AM
Hi
I have decided that i am going to get a betta fish this weakend and was wondering where the best place to put the tank is? Do they mind music or is someplace quiet best?

Abbeys_Mom
01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
As long as the music isn't loud, I don't think they care. Low traffic areas are best. If you are constantly walking by the tank or there is lots of movement, it can stress them out.

crackatinny
01-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Just don't put it in one of them little cups, or the boxs you see inside the tanks at stores, I reckon that looks so cruel and sad, my wife always wants to rescue them, I reckon it is a selling con of the fish shops, to con people like my wife.

The worst I heard the other day at our local pet store, the seller when I asked if heating was nessesary (as they are in cups in a lot of stores), her reply was, most people just buy one for the summer, when it gets cold and they die, they buy another next summer, to me this seems like what we call over here YUPPIES, like the businessman who buys a Harley and rides it twice a year. Are our fish a passing fad like that, I say no.

Betta_noob
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Honestly as much as you're going to want to be around it try to put it in a non trafficy area.
Keep in mind that fish feel the vibrations which is one of the reasons you shouldn't tap the glass, so if you have the fish on the counter with a boom box the baby is gonna get all messed up.
As already stated NO SMALL HOMES we will not be happy if you do that :P
1 gallon tank (I say tank not bowl cause it's easier to mantain) but more realisitcally a 2 gallon home minimum because boys are a lot bigger than the girls and they have all of those lovely fins and need ample swimming room to show them off.

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I read the average Betta only lives about a year and they are about 6 months when sold in stores. Obviously some live longer but they don't have a very long life cycle normally.

bettaboy691
01-19-2007, 05:07 PM
betta can have a 2-3 year life span if kept in the correct conditions,e.g NO small bowls,heating,filtering,feeding,etc...

jeffs99dime
01-19-2007, 05:09 PM
make sure you don't place the aquarium right near a home heater or air conditioner

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2007, 05:10 PM
And away from a window.

Wallyfish
01-19-2007, 05:35 PM
make sure you don't place the aquarium right near a home heater or air conditioner

Why not? My 1.5gal can't hold a heater (at least not one that I've seen). I use a space heater close to my tank in order to keep my betta warm on cold days.

jeffs99dime
01-19-2007, 05:53 PM
because it will cause the tank temperature to fluctuate.

crackatinny
01-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Why not? My 1.5gal can't hold a heater (at least not one that I've seen). I use a space heater close to my tank in order to keep my betta warm on cold days.

Just a thought here, but if an internal heater won't fit, how would one of them heating pads off an old waterbed go?, they are thermo controlled and you could sit the tank on it

Wallyfish
01-23-2007, 07:58 AM
A heating pad probably wouldn't work because
1. I'd be worried about the heat control and how it effects the tank.
2. I don't think heating pads are designed to run 24-7
3. There is a mini-drawer at the bottom of my tank, so the bottom of my tank really isn't the bottom.

bettaboy691
01-23-2007, 09:29 PM
they are quite a few small heaters intended for small tanks, here is one i found
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1208.htm
the website i got it off
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category7_1.htm
i know there american and in dollars, but they must be somewhere in the uk to buy these.most 25 watt heaters turned down and measured with a thermomiter will do fine ,if your not prepeared to heat the tank you have a betta in, then i suggest you dont have a betta, they are tropical water tanks and need warmer waters,that are regular temp. if you cant provide what a fish needs to survive,you shouldnt have one

freshwaterfishlover
01-25-2007, 02:10 PM
To me any place is good except next to a window. If you place next to a window in 2 weeks the tank will be full of alge from the sunlight.

I have a 5 Gallon without a heater. I do a warm water changes every other week and it has not gone lower then 68F. I have 7 Ghost Shrimp and 2 Cardinal Tetras in it.

bubble_bee
01-30-2007, 05:05 AM
Hey guys, just in reference to the age discussion...

I've kept bettas in large bowls without heaters, filters, etc. for four years or more. Actually, I don't think I've had a betta die within a year of buying it since I was younger, and had no idea what I was doing.
I know that the conditions mine are in aren't ideal, but the average betta probably dies in such a short amount of time due to poor care or possibly sickness. I always try to buy the healthiest one of the bunch at the lfs.

Drumachine09
01-30-2007, 05:17 AM
Several companies make small 3.5"x3.5" or so pad heaters for 1 gallon to 3 gallon tanks.