PDA

View Full Version : House-Warming gift to myself >.<

Wiggs
11-13-2008, 03:58 AM
Well, I'm bored, just moved some more stuff into the condo so i figured I would type this up while i have the time :)

As a gift to myself(corny :P) I'm going to be setting up my first aquarium once i am moved in and get the money this week to go buy the stuff. I figure that its the perfect opportunity since I will be able to cycle the tank while I finish up the last small details of the move. (fishless cycle)

I will be getting a bigger tank then i would have been using before. It looks like it will be put together using a 40 gallon tank. I want to go with a community tank for my first for a few reasons.

1. I want something that is going to be simple yet pleasing to the eyes. I don't want to have to worry about anything being incompatible down the line and eating everything else in the tank.

2. I personally like the look of community tanks :P Watching the fish school is relaxing and I think it will make a good display in the new living room.

3. I've always loved how fish interact with others of their own species, as well as other species. This is why I chose to go with a bigger tank to support multiple schools of different species.

Now, for the juicy details.

I plan to use a sand substrate. I think it will be easier on the fish, as well as the plants I want to have in there. I also feel it has more aesthetic value then gravel (IMO). Lastly, I see it as being a bit easier to maintain assuming i take the time at first to properly clean it and make sure I get the smaller particles out that are more prone to clouding a tank and free-floating.

I want to have a large piece of driftwood as not only the centerpiece of the tank, but something to build off of with various plants. I want something that is going to resemble a cave, with a tall bow allowing fish to swim under and over it.

As for plants, this part is a bit up in the air as I haven't researched them as much as everything else. I know that I do want a few Java Ferns in there, but like I said I need to do a bit more research on the topic.

Now, as for the fish, here is my pending list. I chose these fish based on their compatibility, their schooling, as well as their hardiness. Please let me know if you feel there are changes to be made:

Neon Tetra 5-6
Zebra Danio 5-6
Cherry Barb 5-6
Panda Cory 4-5

Of course, I won't be adding them all at once, most likely one species a week as to allow the tank to adjust itself.

So, what do you all at AC think about this? I know it is my first tank, but I'm enjoying the research, planning, and the challenge of it all. I would greatly appreciate any info or advice you could give on this idea.

Thank you :) I'll be checking back in hopefully with a tank and such early next week.

Sharkman
11-13-2008, 04:02 AM
that sounds great. Props to you for researching and not jumping right into this. It appears that you have the patience to succeed in this hobby. Your stocking looks spot on.

Wiggs
11-13-2008, 04:04 AM
that sounds great. Props to you for researching and not jumping right into this. It appears that you have the patience to succeed in this hobby. Your stocking looks spot on.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Us Eagles fans have to stick together these days.....:14:

terrapin24h
11-13-2008, 04:06 AM
that sounds good, but i think you could do a few more neons too. Also, consider some inverts for a nice slow moving different type of life. They're aren't for everyone but i fond them as soothing as the fish

--chris

Wiggs
11-13-2008, 04:08 AM
that sounds good, but i think you could do a few more neons too. Also, consider some inverts for a nice slow moving different type of life. They're aren't for everyone but i fond them as soothing as the fish

--chris

I'll have to look into it :) Thanks for the info.

haven't heard of an "invert" is that a type of tetra? just trying to guess by how you worded the post.

Gemini
11-13-2008, 04:24 AM
Inverts are invertebrates. Like shrimp.
Your stocking looks good to me too. I would maybe bump the corys to 6 as I have found with mine that the more there is the more active they are.
Good luck!! You should do well if your prepared to read before you start.

teach
11-13-2008, 04:25 AM
I'll have to look into it :) Thanks for the info.

haven't heard of an "invert" is that a type of tetra? just trying to guess by how you worded the post.
An invert is an invertrabret(i think i spelled that ok) things such as snails or shrimp. things without a backbone. Sorry gemini I didnt know you were writing too

Wiggs
11-13-2008, 04:37 AM
An invert is an invertrabret(i think i spelled that ok)

Inverts are invertebrates. Like shrimp.

>.< I knew that haha.

Thank you very much for the advice everyone. This is the first thing in my life i have ever had this type of patience with. although I must admit that I've had about enough reading already! I see it as the more I do now, the less I'll have to learn on the fly later when it could mean the fishes lives.

Northernguy
11-13-2008, 04:43 AM
Great planning!:thumb: Nice to see someone doing all their homework first.

Just between you and me,women take a thousand times more patience!
Don't tell anybody shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Wiggs
11-13-2008, 04:55 AM
Just between you and me,women take a thousand times more patience!
Don't tell anybody shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

unfortunately, I'm all too aware even at this point in my life.

but hey, where would be be without them? :) non-existent :P

Gemini
11-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Great minds think alike mollielover!
The more reading you do now the better for later. Things will happen and you then at least have an idea of what is going on.
Have fun and good luck!

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2008, 10:05 AM
If you do the fishless cycle, you can add more fish right from the beginning. Using ammonia, you build up a huge nitrogen cycle right off the bat.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

Get yourself the liquid test kit as that's a must to know what your water parmeters are. I would have more neons and probably a large school of another type of tetra.

If you plan to have plants, you will need to upgrade your lights, as well.

Wiggs
11-13-2008, 03:46 PM
If you do the fishless cycle, you can add more fish right from the beginning. Using ammonia, you build up a huge nitrogen cycle right off the bat.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

Get yourself the liquid test kit as that's a must to know what your water parmeters are. I would have more neons and probably a large school of another type of tetra.

If you plan to have plants, you will need to upgrade your lights, as well.

Thanks for the info. I actually plan on buying the Tank/Stand/Filter/Heater/Test kit and all the basics at once, then to cycle the tank and they another trip to buy all the stuff that goes in after.

Also, you mentioned adding some more Neons, and another school of Tetra. Would I not be overcrowding the tank? with adding a few Corys, the neons, and another school thats another ~20" of adult length as a rough guess. I would be ok with that?

Sharon
11-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I think I'd increase the Neons to 12ish, and get three more Pandas.

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
You can have a dozen of another type of tetra just fine as well as building up your school of neons.

Wiggs
11-15-2008, 04:23 AM
Bought my Tank today :) Got a good deal IMO.

36 gallon Bowfront with 40gal filter, 200 watt submersible heater, Hood, Lights, 240ml of Tetra Water conditioner, Food, and a thermometer for $150USD.

They also threw in a Free API Test kit. IMO, i got a pretty decent deal. All I really need are the little things and some substrate/Plants/Fish.

I plan on replacing the filter, it' an Aqueon(?) and I'm not to happy with it being rated for what the tank is, so I'm just going to buy a new one.

Other then that, I couldn't be more excited! Just need to pick up my stand some time this week, and I'll be ready to start cycling.

Wiggs
11-15-2008, 05:18 AM
You can have a dozen of another type of tetra just fine as well as building up your school of neons.

Thanks for the info :) It's looking like I'll really be able to diversify :)

Wiggs
03-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Woah, Long time no Post.

The tank is set up, Artificial Plants ATM, but within the next week or so I will be adding in some Java Moss and Java Fern.

Stocking Right now is at:

6 Zebra Danios
11 Neon Tetras (the 12th didnt make it D:)
1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

The Gourami just went in a few hours ago and he seems to be right at home, he as a good Attitude, doesn't seem so aggressive.

Pics Coming once I get a Camera and some live plants, I just can bring my self to post pics of Plastic Decor with some of the tanks you all have D:.

knarf133
03-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Us Eagles fans have to stick together these days.....:14:[/QUOTE]
im the one throwing the tomatoes, good luck! i love zebra danios, especially how they dash around trying to "kill" each other.

Heliwyr
03-09-2009, 08:57 PM
For plants, you could probably also go with some anubias nana, crypts, anarchris. I assume you have basic lights (the lights that came with the tank), so it's probably going to be a low-light set up (meaning somewhere between 1-2 watts per gallon).

If you plan on upgrading a bit on the lighting, your options open up much more and you can go for some of the lovely rosette and stem plants.

Some beginner species I would recommend if you decide to do so:

Water Sprite
Indian Water Fern
Temple Plant
Amazon Sword
Corkscrew Val
Dwarf Hairgrass

There are several red-leaved species, but they usually require more light and nutrients. The one I've had the most success with has been ludwigia repens.

Cameron
03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
looking forward to pics, plants are great i finally started to buy some (on my 55g) and wont go back to plastic..

Wiggs
03-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Yea, Plants should be on order this week or so, just going to start off with some Java Ferns and Moss, Let it grow o8ut a bit over the wood with the standard lighting and go from there.

Wiggs
03-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Pics taken, Uploading them now :D

bluebluecow
03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
looking forward to seeing the pics, glad you egt more neons, we started with 5 and they didnt school, now have 20 and a lovely school of neons

liz

Wiggs
03-10-2009, 04:50 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/IRagg/DSCF1589.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/IRagg/DSCF1597.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/IRagg/DSCF1599.jpg

And of Course..... Mr G :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/IRagg/DSCF1595.jpg

wolf_eyes
03-10-2009, 09:30 PM
It looks very nice even with the fake plants. ^_~ I really love the stony centerpiece. Just a quick question though. You said you were looking at doing sand but I notice that you got gravel instead. Any specific reason?

Wiggs
03-11-2009, 01:20 AM
It looks very nice even with the fake plants. ^_~ I really love the stony centerpiece. Just a quick question though. You said you were looking at doing sand but I notice that you got gravel instead. Any specific reason?

I went with gravel for this tank because of the ease of maintenance, Being my first tank i wanted something a bit simple to get my feet wet (pun intended).

I do however have a barb tank planned for my room, that will have Flourite and sand. But thats a few months down the line D:

Wiggs
03-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Hooray for Water Changes D:

wolf_eyes
03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Ah i see. You know i switched over to gravel and to be quite honest i think sand is a lot easier. The only thing you have to worry about is water changes messing up your sand. The best way to stop it from doing that is using those cheap plastic breeder's net thing. The disperse the water on the sides and is really great for that (but not much else lol) Just be careful if you're still planning for corys. I had that same type of gravel in my 10 and my previous corys barbel got wore down on that stuff.

Wiggs
03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
So I found a LFS. Well..... not local but i made the 40 min trip today witha friend and was VERY glad i did.

They had about 4-500 tanks with anything you could think of D: Anyways, they had some Estes Marine sand $3 a 5lb bag so I went for it and picked up 8 bags.

Came Home, set up a 10g with some tank water, moved Heater, filter, etc over and finally fish. I Used a new dustpan with hoels drilled in it and scooped out ~25-30 lbs of gravel i had in there, washed the sand a bit, and put it in.

I am so happy right now, it looks 1000000 times better then before, I also picked up a piece of driftwood that had been baked and all, then nailed to a piece of slate and that looks great as well.

Pics coming soon, dont have any AA batteries D:.

Wiggs
03-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Pics coming tonight.

My 6 Peppered Cories are acclimating ATM, in hindsight i wish i would have gotten another 3-4 but that's for another day :)

Wiggs
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
2 Pics for now, waiting until later to get some better ones once its dark. Hard to take pics D:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/IRagg/DSCF1619.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d176/IRagg/DSCF1620.jpg

wolf_eyes
03-18-2009, 07:29 PM
oh wow that sand is really nice looking! Black sand is always really beautiful. Have you thought about getting a background for your tank? They're not too bad price wise if you want to get a more detailed one, or you could always make a black background for next to nothing.

Your gourami is very beautiful as well.

knarf133
03-18-2009, 07:57 PM
noticed you seem to have alot of plans later on down the line, can you handle everything for sure?

Wiggs
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
noticed you seem to have alot of plans later on down the line, can you handle everything for sure?

I mostly throw things out there, and take on what I can handle. :)