PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure this one out plzz

AquaQueen
01-19-2007, 04:02 AM
Ok my sister-in-law called me asking if I wanted to tak in these fish that her friend didn't want sooo...we did and I have NEVER seen a guppy this HUGE I swear it has to be mixed with another fish and she said they never had other fish but they had three females that got huge and the other two died "after giving birth their insides fell out??":confused: is what I was told these ppl never had a heater or tested the water I was shocked to hear they never even treated the water for anything EVER. I dont know what to do they gave me 6 adults(3&3) and like 12 babies I first would like to know if "Big Momma" is mixed and second have you ever seen or heard of a fishes insides falling out after having the babies?? I have a few shots of the huge one to show what she looks like. These fish are very pretty and the colors are wild I would like to keep them but I also want to make sure these are not sick or somthing. The rest look fine but I can't get over this female and to top it off she is ready to burst with more babies!! I may be in for more then I am asking for but I can't abandon them now. I NEED all the info/help that anyone can give PLEASE I want to do what I can...if I can.:help:

Abbeys_Mom
01-19-2007, 04:08 AM
The thing about their "insides falling out", they probably had bloat and that is why they died. Also, I would not put that large female, or any of those fish in your tank. That female guppy is infected with TB. It is contagious as far as I know and can cause lesions in humans.

Guppies can get large when they are raised in proper conditions. Same goes for Platies, Mollies and Swords.

AquaQueen
01-19-2007, 04:22 AM
She is in the quarentine tank for my feeders I am curious as to how you know she is infected with TB? I want to tell my sis-in-law she kept four of these fish for herself...not like the huge one but they all came from the same lady...if this is what she has is there any hope for her? Her babies are infected too if she is right? These people had these fish for some time now I was told they lost the first female almost a yr ago and one went about 4 months ago and this one seems fine. I am so confused...Oh one other thing they were the only fish in a 45 gal tank...lots of living space for guppies if ya ask me...lol

kimmers318
01-19-2007, 04:31 AM
I am curious too about the TB thing. I don't know enough about it to be able to recognize so would like to know what stood out to bring that conclusion in case I ever have to deal with it. I did notice that Mama looks like she has a seriously bent spine, which although I don't know what that indicates, when i saw it in a couple of danios used to cycle a tank, they didn't last long afterwards, so I know it can't be a good thing. But nothing has been passed on to the other fish in that tank so I assumed it was the long term effects of having gone thru a cycle.
As for the size....I am with you on that paulie....I have never seen such a large guppie...that girl is HUGE!

AquaQueen
01-19-2007, 04:42 AM
I honestly think she kinda resembles a molly or platy as far as her face and size go...I did also notice the spine but I have seen guppies with bent spines like that before in other tanks. But never this size...that is what caught my eye when I seen her and I knew if I got her to my house and got some pix someone could help me with her...

Abbeys_Mom
01-19-2007, 01:35 PM
The bent spine was the indicator. My guppies got infected when I bought home a new male once. Some fish can be carriers without showing signs. The fact that she was in a 45g tank is probably why she is so big. In small tanks that have lots of fish a growth hormone builds up as restricts growth. I guess it's natures way of keep fish small in a small space. I think that is where the whole "fish won't outgrow their tank"thing came from.

Look here for more on Fish TB
http://www.4qd.org/Aqua/disease/tb.html

AquaQueen
01-19-2007, 03:35 PM
So is there any hope? Is there anything I can do for her? Should I euthanize her? Also now that I know she is sick this means all of them are?

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium)
S: Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippled–with a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and “pop-eye.”
A: This disease is highly infectious and deleterious. Bacteria can remain living in the gravel to infect other fish when they are weakened. Some success has been achieved by treating infected fish with antibiotics (Oxytetracycline and Kanamycin), although often it is best to kill the fish and put it out of its misery. When removing piscine tuberculosis victims, do so with care, as this disease can be transmitted to humans.

I wonder if her parents weren't cross breeds to give you such a huge guppy? She really is huge in my book for a guppy.

minabird
01-19-2007, 03:56 PM
I agree with Abbeys Mom and Hobbs. I've never dealt with TB in fish, but I was thinking it was TB also becuase of the fish's bent spine.

AquaQueen
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Fish Tuberculosis (Mycobacterium)
S: Fish may lose color and appetite and become hollow-bellied. Fish become lifeless and often crippled–with a bent spine. Fish develop ulcers under the skin and may rupture causing open sores and “pop-eye.”
A: This disease is highly infectious and deleterious. Bacteria can remain living in the gravel to infect other fish when they are weakened. Some success has been achieved by treating infected fish with antibiotics (Oxytetracycline and Kanamycin), although often it is best to kill the fish and put it out of its misery. When removing piscine tuberculosis victims, do so with care, as this disease can be transmitted to humans.

I wonder if her parents weren't cross breeds to give you such a huge guppy? She really is huge in my book for a guppy.

Hobbs, Where did you get that info I searched the forum last night and came up with no matches....

As for the TB I am still in a lil doubt the only sign I see is the bent spine, she is active(not crippled...yet), eats fine, she is deffinately not hollow-bellied and I dont know if she has lost any color only had her for not even one full day yet. Is there somewhere I can find more info on TB?

I really think there had to have been some cross breeding somewhere to get three like her. The woman swears she only had the guppies so that would be more logical if it came from the parents...I asked if she ever had babies that were as big as her and none have turned out that way so it's got me curious.

In your oppinion what do you this she looks like she was mixed with?

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2007, 05:23 PM
http://fish.mongabay.com/diseases.htm

AquaQueen
01-20-2007, 12:35 AM
I have been reading every chance I get to find out what is up with this fish I walked half way accross the city with this fish in a baggie to the closest pet store to see what they had to say...Great Help!!! NOT..the guy had no clue what I was talking about said he has seen many guppies like this and it is from their heavy tails and I plan to print out as much as I can and bring it to him because I fond this article with pics and it deffinately looks just like Momma...Hubby is in denial but I am worried and want to get rid of her. and all her mates they show no signs but from what I am reading they say about 25 to 30% of fish have this disease and die suddenly with no explination and alot of ppl never find out why...Anyways I copied a section from a site that was very helpful to me and I will also post the site I found it on incase anyone wants to read up on this. Thanks for all of the help on this everyone I will keep in touch as to what the LPS has to say when I bring the printed info to them and on what Mommas fate is going to be...I dunno what to do.

Fish tuberculosis

Signs: Fish with tuberculosis usually show a loss of appetite, pale skin color, emaciation, lethargy, skin ulcers, and general poor health. The disease may progress slowly leading to skeletal deformities and eventually death. Post mortem exam will reveal small white nodules in the internal organs.

Cause: Mycobacterium

Transmission: The bacteria can be transmitted through the water from open ulcers, feces of infected fish, or through the consumption of infected, dead, or dying fish in the tank.

Predisposing factors: This disease is not highly contagious, however, it is often associated with poorly kept or dirty tanks with poor water quality. Any dead fish should quickly be removed and disposed of. Diseased live fish should be removed to a treatment tank.

Treatment: The antibiotics kanamycin or erythromycin are sometimes successful. All infected fish should be handled with care to prevent transmission to humans through open wounds or cuts.

www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=16&cat=1...

blue fin
01-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Does this fish look like it may have had TB?

It was in my tank last week and now it's gone... I can see no evidence of it's existence, it's mate died last week, had a fungus on its mouth, after 3 weeks of treatment it seemed to be getting better and then it died , possibly from lack of food, it wouldn't eat no matter what I did.

AquaQueen
01-20-2007, 02:37 AM
Honestly I dont think so but what you say kinda sounds like mouth rot here is some info on that. I also got a picture from the site I posted (above) of what a fish with TB looks like and in my eyes I dont see this in your fish...your fish looks healthy in this picture.

blue fin
01-20-2007, 02:43 AM
Thanks... just wanted to know if I need to be aware for my other fish.... that little guy and one of my Cardinal tetras died recently, the cardinal I found whole, the other I never did.... I think he turned into a tasty snack for one of my larger tetra's or maybe my catfish