PDA

View Full Version : Good coldwater fish for a 10G

DrNic
11-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I have a 10G tank in my office that I typically use as a plant farm. Now that I have planted most of my other tanks I've found that I don't really need the farm so much anymore. As a result I was thinking about setting the tank up as a coldwater tank, but I'm not familiar with the types of fish that are available. What are the options? Can I get a Koi in there? Or maybe some sunfish from a local pond?

Thanks for the help!

Fishguy2727
11-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Koi and sunfish would definitely outgrow it.

Some options that are coldwater are: zebra danios, blue danios, leopard danios, gold danios, long-finned varieties of all of these, pearl danios, Glofish, white cloud mountain minnows, guppies, and platies. Some of these are generally called or thought of as tropical fish, but they are from sub-tropical environments and will thrive in room temperature, some need to be in cooler water or simply do better in it. All of these like to school and a small school (a school is at least six) of any of these will do great in there. You could even add a few ghost shrimp and some snails (snails do need harder water though for their shell).

cocoa_pleco
11-12-2008, 09:42 PM
zebra danios and white cloud minnows are all i can think of right now that could fit in that tank, as well as some ghost shrimp

Mvjnz
11-13-2008, 01:39 AM
I'd go with white clouds. Very decorative and cute fish:) But if the tank is at room temp, then it's strictly speaking not 'cold water'.

Red
11-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Agreed with white clouds....

Wild Turkey
11-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Do you work everyday? Personally, i wouldnt put fish in a place i would be absent every weekend, for a few reasons.