PDA

View Full Version : need a how to clean your tank sticky

korith
11-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Seen this asked a bunch of times, even by me I think when I started here. on how to clean a tank.

fins_n_fur
11-12-2008, 07:27 AM
So, does that mean you are offering to write one?

Kula
11-12-2008, 10:47 AM
We could all post our techniques, then you could sort through them and make a guide (Vampire)

Wild Turkey
11-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Do u mean tank maintenance? Or actually stripping the tank?

You probably wont even find two opinions that are exactly alike on the first practice.

Lady Hobbs
11-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Since everyone cleans their tanks differently it would be silly to have a stickie, I think. I don't think two people here do it the same.

Kula
11-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Since everyone cleans their tanks differently it would be silly to have a stickie, I think. I don't think two people here do it the same.I think a general how-to would be nice. Plus it might be interesting to see if anybody has some nifty MacGyver techniques when it comes to cleaning or maintaining an aquarium.

korith
11-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I think a general how-to would be nice. Plus it might be interesting to see if anybody has some nifty MacGyver techniques when it comes to cleaning or maintaining an aquarium.

Ya exactly! Anyhow I just meant that the question how on how do i clean my tank seems to come up often.

And I really don't know what I would write for that, someone far more knowledgeable than me should do that hehe. About all I can contribute is, I cleaned the tank/hood with vinegar and glass scrapper:p

Kula
11-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Ya exactly! Anyhow I just meant that the question how on how do i clean my tank seems to come up often.

And I really don't know what I would write for that, someone far more knowledgeable than me should do that hehe. About all I can contribute is, I cleaned the tank/hood with vinegar and glass scrapper:pI remember when I first started (I was 15), and I had no real idea how to clean a new/used aquarium, especially one that had stuff caked onto it, or lots of calcium deposits. A lot of newbies don't know cleaning with bleach can be quite scary, and cleaning with vinegar is much safer. Heating vinegar will speed up the reaction time with calcium deposits. Actually, when I want to clean the glass canopy, all I use is hot vinegar and a sponge. I've been tempted to use Lime-Away, but I always think I'll somehow not rinse it all off, and a trace amount will be left behind. If it's a tough deposit to clean, I'll pour vinegar on a paper towel and let it sit on top of the deposit until it's gone.

Poofaye C.
11-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Already this has been helpful. Knew about vinegar, but never thought about the paper towel soaking. I'll be trying this today...thanks Kula.

Wild Turkey
11-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Vinegar + the soft variant of brillo pad for the glass (more like a rough sponge) and the hard type for the filter/trim/what not has always worked great for me. The paper towel idea is a neat one though.