PDA

View Full Version : Altolamprologus calvus

Red
11-12-2008, 03:51 AM
I have done some research, has anyone had these?
here is a picture (not mine)
http://nowhere-labs.net/img/aqua_categories/Altolamprologus-calvus-zair.gif
Any tips would be great, i could get some f1 for 10 bucks (woo)
thanks guys

Fishguy2727
11-12-2008, 04:13 AM
I have come close a couple times, never actually got any yet though. Good price though.

What would the setup be exactly if you got them?

Red
11-12-2008, 04:16 AM
somewhere around a 30-35 gallon, with lots of rocks and species only tank...
To small?

Fishguy2727
11-12-2008, 04:22 AM
I don't think that is too small. From what I understand this is not a very active species. At just over 5" max they are not big either. Ideally the setup has lots of slate in it, positioned up on its end. They like the flat rockwork that they can slip between. Cichlid lake salt and buffers to keep the pH as high as possible (8.5 or so should be high enough) would be highly beneficial. I am obviously a huge fan of New Life Spectrum so my suggestion for diet would be this exclusively. A sand substrate is also my pick across the board, but definitely an ideal pick for these guys.

Can they be sexed at that smaller size, do you know?

Red
11-12-2008, 04:29 AM
Thanks fishguy!
Thats what i had in mind about everything and you know i love that marine estes :) But is it fine if i have some gravel for a while? (no cash)
I just read that they can be sexed later in life, sexually matured by telling by size difference.. Males are about one-third larger than females. so i guess i got to wait a while for them to grow, unless the person i buy from has any secrets.

Off topic question.. I just bought some marine estes sand and it looked like bigger sized gravel compared to a couple of different ones, is that how it is or is there differnt sizes?

kaybee
11-12-2008, 11:43 AM
How big are the one's that you may be getting? They're extremely slow growing fish.

Fishguy2727
11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
I have seen a little variation in the exact size of Estes' Marine Sand, but all are definitely sand sized, not even close to gravel size.

gunk
11-12-2008, 04:25 PM
The LFS near my school has a full grown specimen in her 120g Tanganyikan tank. It's my favorite fish in the tank and is absolutely beautiful. It's not very aggressive and sort of a slow-mover, but still great to watch.

These fish can be kept in a 30 gallon tank, but would probably be most comfortable in a 55, especially if full grown. I would reccommend black sand as your substrate as their colors look best against that. Lots of slate and rock structures would help them feel at home too. They can be kept with fish of similar size if your tank is big enough, but they like live food so you should avoid small fish.

Red
11-13-2008, 12:48 AM
Yeah a 30 has to do.. Thanks for all the input, I heared the only grow an inch a year, is that right? I was going with a 3f to 1m ratio

Northernguy
11-13-2008, 04:49 AM
Thats a cool looking fish Red!
I can't wait to see your tank when its done.
Pics,you know!:19:

Spyder
11-15-2008, 03:09 AM
I have a pair in my Tang tank. I've had them for about 8 months and they have doubled in size. They are now 2 1/2". They are slow movers but definitely not to be taken lightly. When my CaudoPunks spawn they come over and eat the fry and the Punks move out of their way. I have heard aggression stories about them killing other Calvus when there are spawning pairs and a third fish left out. I like mine a lot. They do keep a little control over the population but I have such a large tank that I still have lots of successful spawns from other species. It will be interesting to see how they are when full grown. As said, they are slow growers but also long lived, 15 years I believe.

Northernguy
11-16-2008, 05:34 PM
I have a pair in my Tang tank. I've had them for about 8 months and they have doubled in size. They are now 2 1/2". They are slow movers but definitely not to be taken lightly. When my CaudoPunks spawn they come over and eat the fry and the Punks move out of their way. I have heard aggression stories about them killing other Calvus when there are spawning pairs and a third fish left out. I like mine a lot. They do keep a little control over the population but I have such a large tank that I still have lots of successful spawns from other species. It will be interesting to see how they are when full grown. As said, they are slow growers but also long lived, 15 years I believe.

This thread needs pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:18:

Red
11-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah,
I am still thinking about getting them buy my supplier is not sure if he can get them within the next 4 months :(
But i really really want them.. so if anyone has a place (under 10 bucks) where i can get them, be free to pm me...

Crispy
11-28-2008, 05:38 PM
there are lots of small calvus around here in the LFS'... $6 a piece if you buy 6 of them. But I'm in Canada, so that might not help you much.

Brookfish
11-28-2008, 06:23 PM
Awesome choice of fish, Black Calvus are beautiful, I actually have a few
on order for next week, I hope they turn out as nice as the pic you posted.

sanddigger
12-06-2008, 03:25 AM
This thread needs pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:18:

How true. I have four calvus and haven't taken any pics of them since I found them over a year ago. They are beautiful now. Two to three inches with hints of blue. Slow growing, somewhat, but they are my favorite out of all.

I unfortunately made some impulse choices when starting my Tang tank. I have four BZ. I found them two days before my my calvus. I would have taken the calvus and left it at that had I found them first. So I will be putting my BZ up for sale or my lfs will take them for trade so the BZ can have a bigger home than my 85g can provide.

Now that I rambled on (too much). Northernguy has given me the "trigger finger" to take pics of my calvus. Thanks NG.

I too would love to see some calvus pics. So bring 'em on!!!

Crispy
12-12-2008, 06:11 PM
is there much of a difference between black calvus and inkspot calvus?? I looked at pics of both and couldn't tell. My supplier has both and I'm wonderin' which to get?

The Wedge
12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I have two...with my 6 Julidochromis...in my 30. They are still at 3 inches...eventually I am going to have to modify the stock in this tank...He's really chill thou
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/wharfrat77/Picture048.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/wharfrat77/Picture047.jpg

Brookfish
12-13-2008, 12:17 AM
I have two...with my 6 Julidochromis...in my 30. They are still at 3 inches...eventually I am going to have to modify the stock in this tank...He's really chill thou

Wow thats a great looking Calvus Wedge, cool pics.

Northernguy
12-13-2008, 01:48 PM
WOW! They are cool looking fish. Nice shots.thumbs2:
They look like they are either mad about something or really sad.

Crispy
12-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Exactly what kind of calvus are those? BTW, does anyone know the difference between black and inkspot calvus??

kaybee
12-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Perhaps you meant inkfin? :ssmile:

From what I understand, the differences between the black calvus and the black inkfin calvus is the coloration of the pectoral fins (one has transparent pectorals, I forget which) and the overall pigmentation of the inkfin may be somewhat darker. The two may appear near-identical to the un-trained eye.

The Wedge
12-14-2008, 06:44 PM
These guys are Black Calvus

cer
12-14-2008, 09:59 PM
55 gallon or up when full grown. how many do you want?

Crispy
12-15-2008, 06:58 AM
55 gallon or up when full grown. how many do you want?

4 - 6 juvies... not sure if I'll be overstocking the tank though.

BTW Kaybee, thanks for the info up there.

johnpeezy
12-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Hi,
long time no type for me sorry....

I have a white, black, congo black(inkfin), and gold face compressiceps (gold calvus)

if your thinking of getting blacks I defintly would. (although I would suggest the whites even more.)

there are several diffrent color variations of calvus, and just as many behavior diffrences as well.

some like rocks, while others like caves and in fact there are even shell dwelling calvus.

They remind me of an armored car in the aquarium, simply because of the ammount of abuse they can take from other fish. they kind of roll over on there side and just take hits from the others fish because of there scales.

I wouldn't suggest adding more then one male & female to a tank, there a solitary fish (in terms of there species) and tend to not tolerate any of there own kind around them (including there mates) Provide a shell large enough for the female to fit in but not the male.

I hope my rambeling helped you out a little bit