PDA

View Full Version : how to make a moss cave

statenfish
11-11-2008, 11:57 PM
I have recently placed a halved clay pot in my 90 gallon tank. I would like to use java moss create a moss cave. How do i secure the moss to the pot and facilitate its growth? Am i breing reasonable? Is this a possibility? any help would be appreciated

OscarFan
11-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Just use fishing line or yarn and it should be a piece of cake. Java moss has sometimes even attached to glass.

statenfish
11-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Will the moss attach to the pot? am i being realistic, or am i just hoping here. If it works it should look pretty cool

Wild Turkey
11-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Will the moss attach to the pot? am i being realistic, or am i just hoping here. If it works it should look pretty cool

Use fishing line, make sure it is tight to the pot so that fish cannot get snagged. Java moss is a weed of a plant, it will grow anywhere and attach to anything. Its harder to kill this plant in good conditions than it is to get it to grow, literally. lol

Algenco
11-12-2008, 12:09 AM
another way is to place the pot on a shallow tray, arrange the moss, put a small amount of water in the tray, cover with a clear glass bowl and place near a north facing window.
It will take the moss about a month to become attached to the pot, keep water in the tray and mist the moss occasionally

Wild Turkey
11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
That is an awesome little trick, Al ^^

Lady Hobbs
11-12-2008, 12:35 AM
You can silcone some of your substrate to the clay pot. I have pots with both sand and stones glued on. Java moss will attach to it easier if it's a rough surface.

Silcone needs to dry two days.