PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, confused.

Kula
11-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Does anybody know the difference between the Rubbernose and Rubber Lip Plecos? Or are they the same thing? I tried doing a Google search, but I cannot get accurate results. Some places say they are the same, while others have different pictures for both. I'm confused because I bought one today and wanted to make sure they only get to be 5" and not the size of common plecos. I'd go take a picture of it, but it's hiding >_< I know it's definitely rubber [something] pleco...

Fishguy2727
11-11-2008, 01:06 PM
I have always understood them as all being the same, but that the plecos called this can be one of a number of a species (like how there are a number of different species of silver dollars but they are all called silver dollars). I usually add 'scientific name' to whatever I am googling when trying to figure out fish. This gives me a name I can plug in to fishbase.org and get some accurate information.

Kula
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
I wish they had the scientific name at the store, but they didn't. Even then, I don't really trust the labels. I'll have to scare mine out of it's hiding spot and try to snap a quick photo for an ID!

Fishguy2727
11-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Get a shot and show us.

But also google 'rubberlip pleco scientific name' and see what you get. Then you can put that scientific name into fishbase.org and get the real max. size and other accurate information on them.

Kula
11-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Okay, so both of those names describe the same fish of the same genus, though it's species name is under speculation. I'm 99.9% sure my guy/gal is Chaetostoma cf. thomsoni (L187b).

Here's some really good info on Chaetostoma:
http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Chaetostoma_thomsoni.php

Kula
11-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Well, it seems to not want to come out from behind the log. I did get a quick glimpse of it, though, before making a mad dash for the log after seeing me. It looks just like the photo from that site, except mine is gray in color with small white spots on it's head. So it's not L187b. Oh well. At least I know the genus...

Fishguy2727
11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I have heard the coloration can vary a lot on these guys. I saw some in Petsmart's tanks that had the exact same shape but the color varied, even as much as being reversed.

Kula
11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Petsmart is where I found it... I saw some similar to it at a LFS (and thought they were adorable), but they wanted something like $40, so I was quite excited when I saw a very similar pleco at Petsmart - same rounded face, spots, and remained small. The only difference was the color of the fish and the color of the spots. So yeah, I couldn't pass up getting it for $5!

Kula
11-14-2008, 12:42 PM
It wasn't feeling so shy the other day, and I managed to get a photo of it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/glittercherries/IMG_1158.jpg

Fishguy2727
11-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Yep, rubbernose/frogmouth pleco.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Yup. Looks like a simple Rubbernose/Rubberlip/Frogmouth Pleco to me as well.
If you want a lot of great information of Plecos or any other Catfish I'd have to recommend PlanetCatfish.com. Their Cat-e log (I know, cheesy name) is one of the most comprehensive lists of Catfish and they are adding new ones almost every day.

Kula
11-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Yup. Looks like a simple Rubbernose/Rubberlip/Frogmouth Pleco to me as well.
If you want a lot of great information of Plecos or any other Catfish I'd have to recommend PlanetCatfish.com. Their Cat-e log (I know, cheesy name) is one of the most comprehensive lists of Catfish and they are adding new ones almost every day.Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out.

I noticed today my pleco changes color from dark gray to as light as an albino, depending on where he is in the tank. He's also finally sticking up his dorsal fin :D

Northernguy
11-15-2008, 02:49 PM
He's also finally sticking up his dorsal fin :D

Thats rude!:19: It sounds like it is starting to feel at home.

abaigael04
11-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Looks like an L187 to me... chaetostoma. Rubber nose / rubber lips / bulldog. All the same thing. I bought a "common" rubber nose at petsmart - but mine is unidentifiable! (he has red on him!) Cutie - I LOVE rubbernoses!!
Edit: NM not an L187 - its spots are dark not white. Mine has spots that are 'white' too - also bought at petsmart. But he has a red tail.