PDA

View Full Version : What myths have you heard of?

Fishguy2727
11-11-2008, 01:31 AM
What myths have you heard of about goldfish?
What do you want to know more about?
What have you heard that you are not sure if it is a myth?

OscarFan
11-11-2008, 01:36 AM
I heard that they eat brains and also that they like to eat rocks as well.

Red
11-11-2008, 01:53 AM
These are some of the things that i think are myths. I have seen or heard these asked before.

1. Goldfish are supposed to be in bowls.
2. Goldfish dont grow if you keep them in small tanks and it wont hurt them
If i think of anymore i will tell you..

Incredulous_Ed
11-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Well, I was at a wal mart once and was listening as some employee was explaining goldfish to an unsuspecting lady. He said (no kidding)

"Well, your common goldfish usually lives only about 2 weeks, but the more expensive, fancy ones can live a few months."

Load of crap. So I casually strolled by and said :

"I had a common goldfish that lived 2 years"

He, honest to goodness, shot me a death glare, and I got out of there. What an idiot. I only said that because I don't usually go to that wal mart.

Mvjnz
11-11-2008, 02:39 AM
My partner's business partner's mum visited us about 3 weeks ago, and I've been to her place and she has a tiny little pond (about 50 litres) with about 15 fancy goldfish in it.

So she had a look at my pond (300 litres with 3 comets in it) and then said 'Two of my goldfish just died. But I'd had them for years!' Then she looked at me and went 'Cuz you know, they only live for about 18 months to 2 years these ones' to which I replied 'no they live for years and years and get really big' and she said 'no these are just the little ones you get for ponds and such' and then held up her fingers, indicating about 10 cm.

So she actually thinks there are two different types of goldfish, the small kind which you put in bowls and small ponds, and the big ones which only fanatics would get to put in big ponds.

It wasn't the time and place to start something, so I gave up.

reptile dude007
11-11-2008, 03:53 AM
1. Gold fish don't need a tank any bigger than 5 gallon.
2. Gold fish only get the size of there tank
3. Gold fish can only eat flakes
4. Gold fish should have gravel in there tank to eat (Goes strangely with myth #3)
5. Gold fish are very agressive and should be alone.
6. Gold fish only live a year or two.
7. Gold fish should be in very large schools but in a small tank.
I can't think of any more

cocoa_pleco
11-11-2008, 05:21 AM
goldfish are happy in bowls
goldfish are the easiest fish you can buy
goldfish in bowls need friends

what killed me today is i was checking out tanks on ebay, and there was a cheapie 3g circular tank with a UGF and a person said "how many goldfish can go in here?" and the seller said "well, with lots of rocks and plants, 2"

reptile dude007
11-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Gold fish only live a month. Two at the most.

Fishguy2727
11-12-2008, 04:11 AM
These are good, but should be covered in a good article or decent book. Some people just don't want to learn and with them all the information in the world won't disprove that they are fine in bowls, etc.

I am finishing an article on the myths of goldfish and their care and wanted to make sure there was nothing I missed. It will be up in the next couple of days.

labnjab
11-12-2008, 05:55 AM
This is a good myth, goldfish are stupid and only have a 30 second memory... I laugh at this one considering they can be trained to do tricks, and our goldfish remember what side they get fed on and they know almost exactly when feeding time is, and they play games, like hide and seek. The are by far the smartest fish we have

reptile dude007
11-12-2008, 06:12 AM
This is a good myth, goldfish are stupid and only have a 30 second memory... I laugh at this one considering they can be trained to do tricks, and our goldfish remember what side they get fed on and they know almost exactly when feeding time is, and they play games, like hide and seek. The are by far the smartest fish we have
Mthbusters Busted this myth like two years ago.

Fishguy2727
11-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that one is another that has been proven wrong already.

I am mainly focussing on issues that tend to come up repeatedly that have not generally been proven to be one way or the other. Things that are regurgitated over and over without anyone actually checking to see if it is true, it is just stated over and over so much that most people think it is real. You will see.