PDA

View Full Version : Red Crab - odd behaviour - any ideas?

lily0175
11-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi - have had my crabbie for six happy months with no problems. He is kept in a freshwater communal tank, (mollies, tetra, sword tail, corys, fantails etc), 26 degrees, on sand, live plants and happily climbs onto the top of the filter to dry and breathe.

Yesterday he was upside down on the bottom flailing around (like an upturned tortoise) - as if he had fallen from the top of the filter and landed on his back - I turned him over using my net and he continued to flail for 5 or 6 minutes and then appeared to settle.

However today he is settled at the front of the tank - fully exposed - and has not moved or fed. He has had one molt in the time I have had him. he just does not seem a happy crabbie and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what maybe the problem and what, if anything I can do?

Thanks in advance.

angelcakes
11-10-2008, 05:31 PM
hello and welcome:19:
what are your water parameters like?
how big is your tank?

aquasteph
02-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Maybe you should try to give him a friend? Crabs are very territorial and can fight, but it might do him some good to have someone to relate to. I have 4 crabs in one tank, sometimes they fight but mostly they get along real well. They seem to feed off each other's energy.