PDA

View Full Version : Another Angel Question :-/

JayB1127
11-10-2008, 09:13 AM
How Old do Angel Fish have to be before they "pair up"? I am interesting in mabey breeding Angels, its an idea Im throwing around as I decide what Id like to do with my tank. And is it best to get a couple, and wait for a pair to form, then seperate the others, or if I got two (male and female of course) would they just naturaly pair up? How do u know when they have formed a pair? What is a minium size tank for a Pair of Angels?

Jay B

Lady Hobbs
11-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Angels need about 20 gallons each so a 40 gallon works nicely for a pair. I had two pair in a 55 gallon but had a lot of aggression issues with them.

People generally get several and when a pair forms, separate each pair into their own tanks. You can't just buy a male and female because you can not sex them until spawning time. Even if you knew you had a pair it doesn't mean they'd like each other. They pick their mates.

Some allow the pair to raise their young in the tank or put the breeding pair in a bare bottom tank to spawn then remove the parents. The first couple spawns will most likely get eaten but they start spawning at around 5-6 months then it's every couple of weeks.

DrNic
11-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Breeind angels is fun but it can be a lot of work so be prepared. Although it is more obvious when they are spawning, angels can be sexed after they are about 8 months old. When in a group angels will natually pair off. If you buy a male and a female you can usually put them together and have them mate. Unfortunatly you can end up with one fish that is more aggressive than the other which can be a problem.

As for the tank size you'll need that depends on how you plan on raising the fry. If you are hoping to have the pair raise the fry themselves you'll need at least a 29G tank, although most people would reccomend a 55g or larger. If you are going to pull the eggs from the tank a single pair can easily be housed in a 20G high tank (this is quite common with most pro-angel breeders), but you'll need a 29G to 55G for the fry. Either way, a barebottom setup with a sponge filter is the best way to go. You should also make sure to put in a slate or plastic PVC pipe for the fish to lay eggs on.

JayB1127
11-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Im positive now I dont want to breed them, all the aggression isnt worth it and I dont have tank space to keep all the babies or an outlet to sell them or such, so I think One will be suited......Now another question?

Im starting to get really attracted to Cichlids, lol...But what fish can I keep with angels, I like colors, and activity and personality......Is a clown loach possible? ohh...and I have a 29gal BTW...All info inputed is gladly appreciated

Jay B

Demi ^_^
11-14-2008, 09:05 AM
1 Angelfish would fit in the 29g, perhaps with a school of larger-type tetras and a shoal of corys. Clown Loaches get pretty big, so I don't recommend on getting one.

The tetras will look interesting and fun, plus Corys are really busy, awsome little creatures!

Goodluck!

JayB1127
11-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Im researching corys now, but What about weird unusal fish, fish that not everyone has....Tetras are cool, Im just bored with them, Thats all I ever had growing up....

Jay B

Demi ^_^
11-14-2008, 09:43 AM
To tell the truth and from my experience, not many fish can combine with Angels. Angels are mean and can be quite nasty!

Ummm... unusual.... unusual...

Have a look at these awsome sites. Click the fish names that look interesting and peek at their requirements and such. Have fun!

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/000tropfishcareguides.htm

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profile.html#catfish

JayB1127
11-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Ive always heard the same about angels, but Ive never actually seen one be agressive, unless of course it was breeding....Do you know much about Convict Cichlids or Zebra Cichlids....I am reading an artical on them, and they are very good looking fish...

Jay B

Demi ^_^
11-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I know that Convicts are very agressive cichlids. They are very easy to breed too, basically all you need is a male and a female. You could have a male and a female in your tank without anything else, but the breed very often, so be warned! It would be probably better to have 2 females in your size tank.

Females have orange or a pinkish shade on their gut and the males have a slight hump when they get big.

JayB1127
11-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I still have alot of Ideas Ranging from Loaches to Cichlids to, almost everything, I want one on everything, lol....so Im trying to weedout fish here and there and choose that seem to have common personalitys that match mine.....Im honestly thinking Some Kuhlii Loachs' or some Dojo Loachs, I definately want an Angel so Im going to see if I can grow him with the Aquarium and pray he stays cool and calm. Then I may be able to do 2 or 3 clown loachs to chill with the others, and just move them when they Get larger or figure out something with my buddy who has a much larger 125gal tank......But Im going to have to watch it with my other fish and not get agressive ones. idk yet, still in the planning stage......But I wanna have a descent plan for it as I enter cycling

Jay B

Note; I apoligize for my spelling mistakes, Im tired and nearing the end of my shift

TazManiac
11-14-2008, 11:45 AM
Hey guys.

I owned Angels a while back in a pretty diverse community tank. Had quite a few things in there.

From my experience the angels would eat the other occupants quite often. They had a liking for my bristlenose plecs too which I wasn't happy about.

Definitely keep them on their own or with something equally agressive.

Aaron

DrNic
11-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately everyone will probably have different experiences with angelfish. So it's hard to say for 100% what types of fish will or will not work with them. Many breeders outcross their angels to wild fish, which can sometimes increase aggression. Angels that have been kept in tanks alone, as they sometimes are in the pet store, can also become highly aggressive when put back in with other fish.

2 good rules of thumb to use for angels are
1) They are omnivorous, but lean toward the carnivorous side a bit
2) They can get pretty big

Common fish that are usually kept with Angels are Rams (in particular German Blue and Yellow), Bristlenose plecos, Upsidedown catfish, and Gouramis (moustly blue/3 spot, and yellows, NOT snakeskin!).

Fish that usually can't be kept with angels are neon tetras (which will become food as the angel gets larger), zebras and barbs (which will pick at the angels fins)