PDA

View Full Version : Yabby RIP :((

Demi ^_^
11-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Yesterday I went to a dam and me and some friends caught a bunch of yabbies. I fell in love with the tiniest one, less then 1/2 in inch and brought him home to live in a temporary home (The 1g) He had nice clean water, sand substrate, rock formation and 3 live plants.

This afternoon I found the little guy dead. I am soooooo upset :((((( I have no idea why he died, maybe just because he was too little?

I am still very determined to have a yabby tank none-the-less. Even if the yabby I so badly wanted has passed :((

Levi
11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
did you use de-chlor?

terrapin24h
11-10-2008, 07:16 PM
If you gave him nice clean water and he was acclimated to filth, that could do it too :) How does the water he came from compare to what you put him into in terms of ph, amm, trite, and trate? Also, how did you acclimate him to his new water? For a wild caught animal, i think i would prob bring enough water from the creek, lake, etc he came from to fill his new home. Then over the course of a week or two acclimate him to aquarium water slowly. It sounds like he was too young and weak to handle the dramatic change. Sorry about that

--chris

cocoa_pleco
11-10-2008, 07:31 PM
just a thought, maybe get water from where you got him and do water changes with that water?

Mvjnz
11-11-2008, 01:05 AM
You could always just buy one at a pet store. They're used to being in a tank and clean water:)

Northernguy
11-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Thats a small home compared to his old one.You may have stressed it right out.A 20 gallon is the smallest I would consider.A store bought yabby is the way to go!