PDA

View Full Version : Nic's Aquarium Journal

DrNic
11-10-2008, 02:36 AM
I know that I'm pretty new to the site but I thought I would start one of these journals. I actually had done an aquarium blog in the past, on my personal site, but it was taken down by hackers about 8 months ago. Bummer. For the last 5 years or so I was exclusively breeding angelfish. Due to a lack of time and people to sell the fish to I've decided to move most of my tanks into community tanks. Below Is a description of my tanks.

29G Angelfish Tank
6 Angelfish
1 Upside down catfish
Narrow leaf java fern, broad leaf java fern
This tank is the last of the angelfish that I have. At the moment there are 6 angelfish in the tank (3M, 3F); 1 Dark, 1 Gold Marble, 1 Marble, 3 Gold Ghosts. Things are getting a little crowded at the moment so I am looking to find a new home for 2 of the gold ghosts. Although I don't recommend it, from my experience, angelfish can be overcrowded without a problem. The secret it to make sure you remove any eggs that the females may lay in the tank. This can be done by hand, but a much easier solution is to simply supply the tank with a mildly aggressive catfish. I find that upside down cats work great for this. They keep to themselves during the day, then at night will eat the eggs while its dark.

29G Tetra Tank
18-20 Neon Tetras
2 Emperor Tetras
1 Rainbow Shark
Narrow and Broadleaf Ludwig, Narrow Leaf Java Fern
I've wanted to do a swarm tank for a long time now. My first attempt was a failure due to some ick that wiped out my first school. After cleaning up the tank and re-cyclying I'm giving it another try. On the day that I wrote this I swapped out the zebras (which I kept in the tank to hold the cycle) and put in the tetras and shark from above. As this tank gets settled (or not) I will add more entries.

20G Molly/Platty Tank
3 Platties (3F)
3 Mollies (2M, 1F)
1 Panda Cory
Narrow and Broad Leaf Ludwig. Broadleaf Java Fern
This is really my wifes tank. She loves mollies/platties so we setup a tank for fish that she likes. Although I've had some problems with my other fish in the last few months, these mollies/platties were super easy. No problems, no hassle. I wish my other fish were this easy. I've been trying to breed some of the fry from this tank. Unfortunatly I haven't seen any fry in the tank yet. There is also an odd fog to the water that I can't seem to clear up even though the water chemistry seems fine.

20G Fancy Guppy Colony Tank
7-10 Adult Fancy Guppies
?? Fry-Juvenile Guppies
Watersprite, Stargrass, Green/Sunset Hygro, Apons, Red Crypts
This is my new favorite tank. I setup the tank initially as a guppy tank with 6 pairs. Within a few weeks there were fry EVERYWHERE! Unfortunately I had a heater malfunction and lost a number of the adults, although a few fry survived. After adding a few adults back into the tank things are more stable again and going really well. I love that the tank is a thriving colony. With a quick look at the tank while I write this I can see 6-8 fry of different ages swimming around the tank.

10G Farm Tank
Misc Plants (listed above)
This tank is mostly used to grow extra plants for sale, trade or use in my tanks.

2 x 2G Betta Tank
These tanks have my wife and my bettas in them. My wife has had her betta for about 3 years now (yellow crowntail). My betta is younger, about a year or so (blue/red crowntail). Both tanks are planted. At the moment my tank actually has plants that I gathered from my fathers pond. After quarantining the plants I am now attempting to grow them, and having some success.

If you have any questions/comments about my tanks, fish or plants let me know. I am still in the process of setting up a number of these tank so I will continue to add entries in the days, weeks, and months to come. :-)

Sir Tristen
11-10-2008, 05:23 AM
These tanks have my wife and my bettas in them.

Wow! You're wife lives in a two gallon tank! LOL J/K

That is a great write up, and it sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with these tanks:19: Keep us updated.

doug z
11-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Cool!

Got any pics?

DrNic
11-11-2008, 04:20 AM
Here are some pics. They were taken during feeding time so a lot of the fish are at the top and not quite visible. Hopefully this weekend I can get some better ones up.

29G Angelfish Tank
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/drnic2032/Journal/DSCN2118.jpg

29G Tetra Tank
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/drnic2032/Journal/DSCN2123.jpg

20G Molly/Platty Tank
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/drnic2032/Journal/DSCN2120.jpg

20G Guppy Colony Tank
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/drnic2032/Journal/DSCN2122.jpg

Sharkman
11-11-2008, 04:22 AM
very nice tanks. Thanks for sharing.

doug z
11-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Nice!

What's that background plant in the tetra tank?

angelcakes
11-11-2008, 05:48 PM
nice looking tanks:19: :19:

DrNic
11-12-2008, 01:32 AM
The tetra tank has been through a few revisions. At the moment (in the picture) I have what I call narrow leaf ludwig across the back. I purchased it a while ago and have propogated it quite a bit. Unfortunatly I don't think its actually a ludwig, I suspect that its really Dwarf Rotala but what I have never really looks like the pics I've seen online. Overall it grows quite nicely, great green, pink and red coloring. Reasonably easy to propogate, as with most stem plants, and it will send out runners if its left in one place for long enough.

There is also a couple broadleaf ludwigs around the filter intake becuase they are a little stronger so the intake doesn't beat them up as much. In the middlegroud is a line of narrow leaf java fern that the neons like to dart in and out of.

A quick update on the Tetra Tank as well. Unfortunatly the Emperor Tetras didn't take. I bought 3, one of which dissapeared within a few hours. I'm still not sure where that one went. The other two were acting weird so I pulled them and put them into quaranteen and they passed away during the day. the didn't look sick I think the water here is just hard to keep some tetras in (I had a similar problem with rummynose) On the up side the neon tetras are doing great! I'm so happy. I'm going to run down to the store at lunch tomorrow and grab another handful of the same ones.

Now I need to find some kind of "centerpeice" fish for the tank....

doug z
11-12-2008, 02:23 AM
Just be sure to QT the new neons.. :)

You can't go wrong with a nice piece of driftwood for a centerpiece..

Make sure you put dead center, though, as it looks more visually interesting and natural if it is off center.

Wild Turkey
11-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Search the floor around the tank for the missing fish. Tanks look great btw:thumb:

DrNic
11-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Yeah, definitly going to be careful adding new fish to the tank. If I get to the store sometime this week I can probably get fish from the same batch as the ones that are in there now, so there is less of a chance that they are sick. If I'm lucky they might also have some cardnial tetras as well.

Yeah we checked the floor for the missing fish. I suspect that if he made it out of the tank the dog got to him first though. ;-)

DrNic
11-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Assuming I have time this weekend I'll be doing some maintenance on a couple of the tanks on top of their standard weekly water changes.

1.) The anglefish tank will get a complete algae wipe down. I'll also probably uproot the plants, clean the gravel a little and replant. I might take the fake stone out although I'm not sure yet. Once I get a couple of those angelfish out of the tank I'm going to put a pleco in there on algae duty. For whatever reason that tank has always been crazy when it comes to algae.

2.) A similar algae wipe down on the molly/platty tank. I'll also add a few bunches of faster growing hygro to see if that helps clear up some of the cloudy water in that tank.

I'll post before and after photos. :-)

I've tried searching for a good test kit that has both nitrates and nitrites. The only ones I saw at the retail pet store today were $45 which was WAY more than I wanted to spend considering it only tested for pH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite.

I'm also on the lookout for the last few fish to complete these tanks now that things seem reasonably stable. The current wish list follows;
1-2 female black or dalmation mollies
1 male platty
1 pair of bright blue fancy guppies
Some centerpeice fish for the tetra tank. I was hoping the emporer tetras would work out but I had no luck with them (again). I'm thinking maybe some nice dwarf gouramis to keep with the general red/blue color scheme in the tank

I'll update again later this weekend or early next week.

Lady Hobbs
11-15-2008, 09:44 AM
That 29 gallon will be a good size for 2 angels when they pair up. Not big enough for 6, tho.

DrNic
11-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, these angels are the last of the angels that I bred. I've been breeding them for about 5 years or so, but have stopped breeding over the last 6 months and am in the process of converting my remaining tanks into community setups. Typically I would keep single large pairs in 20G tanks and double pairs in a split 29G. Since I was pulling the eggs to raise them by hand the parents didn't really need a huge amount of space for raising the fry. The current plan at the moment is to find a new home for 2-3 of the current fish and leaving 3-4 in the tank which I think should be fine. These particular stock lines aren't terribly aggressive and tend to do rather well in small schooling groups.

Sir Tristen
11-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Nic, you might try bigalsonline for a master test kit. It runs around $16, and if you need to order anything else, the shipping is around $8 for any order under a certain amount (like $50 or something). Just an option.

DrNic
11-15-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the idea, I'll take a look over there. I don't really do a lot of online shopping for supplies so I never think to look around.