PDA

View Full Version : got a beating

bryan jones
11-10-2008, 02:16 AM
my male yellow lab got a beating by his juvenile son then the rest all had a bit of a go so i removed him into a breeding thing but still in the tank to recoup once better i will put him back but should i remove the original offender his son temporarily so dad can re establish himself

teach
11-10-2008, 03:42 AM
Im sorry to hear that I hope he gets better.

Northernguy
11-10-2008, 05:07 AM
That may work but the son will have to stay away!
Hope it gets better soon. Is that a breeder trap your talking about?

bryan jones
11-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Northernguy
Its a thing that hangs over the inside of the tank and you put fry into to stop them being eaten till they are big enough to intro into the main tank and also my wife wont let me have a breeding tank at the moment ,but christmas is coming.He will take quite a while to recover before i can put him back in main tank as his rear fin is completely missing and he has nasty abraisions both sides on top of body but fingers crossed he is a fighter.
Cheers Bryan

bryan jones
11-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks im keeping my fingers crossed he survives but he is a fighter

Northernguy
11-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I hope it does survive but keeping him in a breeder trap may stress him out more.Good Luck,get that spare tank soon they really help!

kaybee
11-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Agreed. Something as small as a 10gal can serve well as a mbuna infirmary tank.

Sharon
11-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Cichlids of this type heal very quickly, but adding him back may be a problem. Rearranging the rocks and decor may help, but it's been my experience that the bully will emerge again after a short while. I have silk plants in my Mbuna tank to break the line of sight. That helps....

bryan jones
11-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks guys im still working on the second tank just requires a bit of brown nosing.When i eventually reintroduce him back to main tank i will rearange decor and take out offending bully temporarily.
Take care
Bryan

kaybee
11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
What is the size of your current aquarium and what cichlids are in it (species and quantity of each).

While rearrangement and temporarily displacements may help in the short term if there are stocking or tank size issues, the conditions will remain for subsequent beatings.

bryan jones
11-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Tank size 260litres various cichlids and no i dont know all the official names twenty in total.Generally speaking they get on well together this is the only real problem ive had because i have ended up withmore than one male to one female due to fry growing up as the yellow labs are theonly fish to have bred

Northernguy
11-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Post some pics.I would love to see your tank!:19:

Dixie
11-15-2008, 05:14 PM
260liters=approx.68gal.
It's hard to say what is causing the problem without knowing what fish you have. Your fish, if they are mainly malawi cichlids, aren't pairing fish but harem breeders. To be successful there should be at least 3 females per male. I'm guessing your tank is very male heavy and that's the main problem. I hope daddy lab heals up nice and his boy starts behaving himself.