PDA

View Full Version : Clearing snails without harming fish?

DrNic
11-10-2008, 01:51 AM
A friend of mine has a 29G community tank with various livebearers and the like. When she bought plants online about a year ago sure enough there were hitchhiker snails that came along. From what I've been able to see it looks like mostly ramshorn snails although there are some black ones that I can't identify. They don't appear to be bothering the fish much but over the last 6 weeks there has suddenly been a HUGE increase in number. The snails are just everywhere, they've even managed to climb out of the tank a few times.

Is there any way to clear out the snails without hurting the fish? We setup a zucchini trap that seems to be working a little, but are there any water treatments that we might try to clear the little guys out?

Wild Turkey
11-10-2008, 02:42 AM
- Careful not to overfeed or they will breed more, and start removing them.

- Also try putting food like veggies in a mason jar and sink it, the next day when its full of snails remove it, you can make an unlimited number of these kind of traps.

The easiest method overall is to remove them either by hand or with the jar combined with being careful not to overfeed, but you can treat with copper and it will kill inverts, it will give u ammonia spikes though if you dont remove the snails very shortly after they die.

Anja
11-10-2008, 02:55 AM
For me, Assassin Snails (anentome helena) work well at keeping the pond snails and mini ramshorns under control. They even feed on the MTS up to their own size.

Sounguru
11-10-2008, 04:18 AM
I will second Assassins as the best approach will not get all of them but will strike a balance.

Kula
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
If you like Loaches, you can get some. They love snails!

I have shrimp though, so I can't transfer my Loach into my other tank to get rid of the snails. I really need to find somebody selling Assassins!!

tort518
11-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I went with 6 dwarf chain loaches, aka, sidthimunki loaches. A bit expensive, but I was looking for a different type of fish to add so it worked out well.

Jim

Wild Turkey
11-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Congrats, when do we get to see pics?:19:

Kula
11-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Oh man, those guys look awesome, and I like how they stay small! You should provide us with pictures!

DrNic
11-15-2008, 04:42 AM
I like snails too but one of my tanks in particular recently got overrun for some reason.

So how exactly do you keep the veggies at the bottom of the tank? I tried putting some zuccinni in a mason jar and sunk it. When I got home the zuccinni had floated to the surface covered with snails. Is there any better way to keep them at the bottom?

TazManiac
11-15-2008, 05:12 AM
Is there any better way to keep them at the bottom?

I use a fork stuck into the zucchini and place that zucchini first into the mason jar. Works a treat.

Maybe use an old fork though. Not one of your good ones (my wife wan't impressed).