PDA

View Full Version : uh, do goldfish do this?

EveTheFishWoman :D
11-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Okay, i couldnt see a forum for 'goldfish' so i am just posting here.

Anyway,
I have this really fat pearl goldfish about 2 or 3 inches long.

I dont take care of the cage, but my mom has let the cage get really moldy, and latley the pearl goldfish has been like 'laying' in the plants.

He looks like he is gonna die, but then again, he swims around and stuff, but not very often anymore.

Is it natural for pearl goldfish to do that, or is he like suffering from over abundance of mold?
He kinda looks like he is not getting enough oxygen or something.
I dont know, he never used to do that until everything started getting moldy.

Please answer this so i know weather or not my mom is killing the poor thing....:help: :confused:

Fishalicious
11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
I moved this to the goldfish forum...

I can for sure say that mold is not a good thing!!! Mold harbors lot's of nasty stuff and bacteria so it wouldn't suprise me if the goldfish is becoming very ill...

When you say cage I presume you mean tank?

Clean the mold away as soon as possible and do a big water change... poor thing...

Hope the goldfish picks up and feels better soon... pretty please keep an eye out on hygene in the future

Fishguy2727
11-09-2008, 11:42 PM
There is a whole article in this goldfish section stickied to the top, that will probably be very helpful.

There is also an article stickied in the General Freshwater section on stocking an aquarium that covers water quality and water change schedules.

Pearlscales are one of the most sensitive breeds, so in all likelihood it is being severely affected by its current care. In general a healthy goldfish is almost always swimming around, usually in search of food (even if you haven't fed recently).

Start a good water change schedule, keep the filters clean, and clean up the tank.

Are these live plants?

Sharon
11-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Could the "mold" possibly be algae?

OscarFan
11-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Starting imediately do 2 waterchanges a week at 25% for 2 weeks then go down to 1 waterchange a week. If the "mold" is not algae then remove it all.

labnjab
11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
How big of a tank is this goldfish in and what type of filtration are you using?