PDA

View Full Version : Filter Media Wanted...

s72450
11-09-2008, 09:08 PM
In an effort to cycle more quickly I've been looking for filter media. I don't really know anyone else with fish and my local fish store does not sell or give out their filter media since they need it to cycle new tanks.

I know it's a long shot, but I figured I'd ask if anyone here could help me out.

Wild Turkey
11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Honestly, the two weeks or so it would take to seed a new media + another week to send it to you isnt really worth it. You can cycle your tank using ammonia the old fashioned way in that period with a little luck(if u havent already added fish). It can take a little as a week, though its rare.

Northernguy
11-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Show a little patience ! LOL :19: Your almost there.:c3:

s72450
11-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Silly me forgot about the tank that I used to house a betta in before I moved him. The tank was just a 1.5g and had been sitting there for months. I decided to check the levels in it and noticed that the Nitrate levels were well over 80 on the chart.

Would it be helpful to bag up some of the rocks and put them in my uncycled tank? I'm not sure how to go about that or what to put the media in.

Wild Turkey
11-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Silly me forgot about the tank that I used to house a betta in before I moved him. The tank was just a 1.5g and had been sitting there for months. I decided to check the levels in it and noticed that the Nitrate levels were well over 80 on the chart.

Would it be helpful to bag up some of the rocks and put them in my uncycled tank? I'm not sure how to go about that or what to put the media in.

Are there fish in it right now? If there hasnt been for a few months the nitrates are probably just sitting in there, its unlikely that the bacteria is still alive. If however it is, its better to take the filter media than some gravel if there are no fish in the other tank. (crud in the bottom decaying over time can produce the ammonia needed to maintain the cycle so its possible)

GL we all know how difficult the wait can be

s72450
11-10-2008, 12:24 AM
There was a small female betta in there that I was keeping for a friend but I took her out yesterday and moved her to a heated tank.

Wild Turkey
11-10-2008, 12:30 AM
There was a small female betta in there that I was keeping for a friend but I took her out yesterday and moved her to a heated tank.

That will help then yes, take the filter media though like i said, or even the whole filter

s72450
11-10-2008, 12:34 AM
This tank did not have a filter.

Wild Turkey
11-10-2008, 12:38 AM
This tank did not have a filter.

Ohhh thats a whole nother story. Yea you can take the gravel, bag it in an old piece of pantyhose or similar and put it in the new tank so you can remove it easily later.

I would leave it tho, without a filter theres probably no bacteria in the old tank so ur just chancing introducing disease and whatnot.

s72450
11-10-2008, 12:41 AM
Okay I'll just leave it. I'd rather wait than chance disease in my tank.

Northernguy
11-10-2008, 02:56 AM
What size tank have you got now?
Have you any fish?
What kind of cycle you doing now?

Sir Tristen
11-10-2008, 04:09 AM
Hey, I know it can be a heck of a wait! It took an even month, 31 days, for my fishless cycle to finish, but they do finish.:c3:

s72450
11-10-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm fishless cycling a 10g right now.

Lady Hobbs
11-11-2008, 12:16 AM
If anyone could send some to you the bacteria would be dead by the time you got it.

korith
11-11-2008, 02:07 AM
In an effort to cycle more quickly I've been looking for filter media. I don't really know anyone else with fish and my local fish store does not sell or give out their filter media since they need it to cycle new tanks.

I know it's a long shot, but I figured I'd ask if anyone here could help me out.

Forgot to mention where you were located! A small chance someone might be located in the same city as you. Though chances are no one is, but you never know.

Mvjnz
11-11-2008, 02:29 AM
I'd suggest just being patient for a month. You only need to cycled your first tank, after that you can use your established filter to start other tanks. So it's one month, and then you're cycled forever:)

s72450
11-11-2008, 04:34 AM
I'm in Arkansas