PDA

View Full Version : Can a yabby (crayfish) have friends?

Demi ^_^
11-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Hey all, I am getting excited over a yabby tank and I have some questions ;))

Do yabbies rather having another yabby companion, or on their own?

Can any fish or a snail go in with them?

Do they prefer gravel or sand?

Do they like plants, or not?

Red
11-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Demi,
Crayfish cant go in a 1g tank.. It is too small... And if you even had a big enough tank 10-20 gals they usually fight to the death.

Mvjnz
11-09-2008, 04:16 AM
Yabbies get really big, so I hope you have a big tank for it, and even bigger if you want more than one.

Sand is prolly the best option.

Northernguy
11-09-2008, 04:24 AM
They like sand and rock.They love to hunt fish and eat them and are very good at it!I have seen them 7"but I am sure they get bigger.

cocoa_pleco
11-09-2008, 04:29 AM
they like sand, plants, and rocks. i would get a single one in nothing less than a 25g. fish cant go with them, they will just get hunted down unless theyre fast like zebra danios

Demi ^_^
11-09-2008, 06:12 AM
Thanx guys. I have actually been planning a yabby tank of 20g or so. I have been naughty though. I went to the dam to find the cutest. 1/2 inch baby yabby! I HAD to have him :(( He is in the 1g atm (Even though it was being planned for a shrimp tank)

But please noone go crook at me :)) Plans for the Yabby tank are coming quick, it'll be definately up by the time the little guy is 1". I already have the sand, plants, rocks, everything of the sort. All I really need now is the filter and a heater and of course, the tank.

I really have to try and squash those spontanious actions :((

Levi
11-09-2008, 06:20 AM
i wouldn't give it any friends, but make sure it has a place to hide

Demi ^_^
11-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Thankyou, I am looking up fish tanks now on eBay. We are going to the coast on Tuesday, so I will go hunting for a nice slab of driftwood.

Levi
11-09-2008, 09:15 AM
if you use driftwood get one that can be used as a cave

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g289/1truthsayer/crayyy.jpg

and when he gets too big to hide in it, get him a new cave

Demi ^_^
11-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Wow, beautiful yabby!

My little one has tips of blue, so I am hoping he'll have a bit of blue on him when he is bigger :)) I will do look and find some driftwood of that sort!

I am thinking a 2ft, a few real plants, few pieces of driftwood, a rock cave and sand substrate :19:

Lucky for me, that the dam where I found him is loaded with gorgeous pieces of driftwood anyway :19:

So not even a snail would be right with him?

Friendly
11-09-2008, 02:30 PM
If you want to put plants in the tank with the crawfish, he'll most likely end up eating them. It happens to me, too, I baught a crawfish, and put it in my tank with live plants and he ate them. I moved him though, and now he's in my 10 gallon tank.

I've herd of this shrimp that looks like a crawfish, except without the claws. Instead it has these brushes, and with them the shrimp grabs debris out of the water, and eats that, thses type of shrimp are called filter feeders. If you do want to have a planted tank, without your inhabitants eating them, then I would recomend this shrimp, it's called a Vampire Shrimp.

But if you do want you have a crawfish, that's also fine. In the wild they usually eat algae, so giving it plants to eat is good also. Hope this helps.

Good luck with the yabby!

Levi
11-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Wow, beautiful yabby!

So not even a snail would be right with him?

crayfish love snails like people love popcorn

i purposely infected my crayfish tanks with pest snails so the crays have something to snack on