PDA

View Full Version : More Guppy's!!!!

AquaQueen
01-18-2007, 03:20 AM
Just felt like sharing that I had bought feeder guppy's and they had babies 3 to be exact well we decided to keep them set them upa home to grow and bought more feeders and they too had babies within a couple of days of being in the feeder tank. I would like to know is it possible for the momma fish to have babies over a day or two? Or is she done right away? I only see three new babies this time around as well...how many babies do guppy's have? Is three a normal number? Another thing I'd like to know that I have not been able to find in my research is can you tell if these guppy's are male or female right away or do they have to grow before they get color and what not???

AquaQueen
01-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Um...Hello...anyone out there? Come on....I know someone has to know the answers to my questions...Anyone??? :confused:

Abbeys_Mom
01-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Are they feeder guppies or Endler's? Endler's are often sold under the title of feeder guppy. Here's what they look like (see attached)

If they are Endler's, then they will have 12-24 babies, fewer if they are younger. It is not uncommon for females to only have 1-3 on their first try. As they get older and bigger, they have more. As many as 30. It can take a upwards of 24 hours for a female to release all their babies. They can also "hold" them when they feel threatened. Water changes can encourage a female to drop her babies. Female Endler's and Guppies can continue to have fry up to 8 months after mating. They store sperm.

If they are Endler's, you will be able to sex them (for the most part) by 2 weeks or so (going by memory here). Sometimes sooner. The females have little to no colour and have black "eggs" near the base of they're tail. It's a little harder to sex when they are Guppies, as the females can also have colour.

Hope this helps :)

AquaQueen
01-18-2007, 10:46 PM
First I want to thank you for your info it was very helpful I do think that these are Endlers some look almost like that guy in the picture except that the colorful ones have black dots on thier sides? Is that normal guppies that have the dots? I cant get a clear picture of them they move to fast right now...lol

As far as them having the 3 babies when I came back from work this afternoon and found another baby hiding so I'm thinking she had more then 3 but they are hiding on me. These fish are kinda small even for guppies. So I am thinking they a deffinatly young.

I always thought that besides the colors of the fish, the female has a lil triangle near thier but and the males have a lil stick?? Is that not true?

Abbeys_Mom
01-18-2007, 11:25 PM
The males a "straw-like" anal fin. The females have, like you said, a triangle near their anal fin (it's the eggs, females are born with them). Endler's can look different then the ones in the picture, most males look nothing alike except for shape. They can have a variety of tail types too. Guppies general look like this, but also in a variety of colours and tail shapes.

AquaQueen
01-19-2007, 03:22 AM
Oh ok then that is true with guppies too. Thanks for clearing that up for me.