PDA

View Full Version : Flakes or blood worms?

reptile dude007
11-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I posted a video of my angels and I was told that flakesd are bettwer for them than blood worms is this true?

Lady Hobbs
11-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Blood worms are not a food but a treat. They are fine if a few are given a couple times a week only. Your angels would probably like some small cichlid pellets. You will have a problem if you give them too many meat products. Offer them spirulina flakes or pellets now and then, as well.

Wild Turkey
11-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Blood worms are not a food but a treat. They are fine if a few are given a couple times a week only. Your angels would probably like some small cichlid pellets. You will have a problem if you give them too many meat products. Offer them spirulina flakes or pellets now and then, as well.

Yup, as hobbs said, feed with them both. Use the bw as a treat, variety is key so you really dont have to worry about picking one type of food over another.

reptile dude007
11-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks!!! I'm kinda a newbie right now even though I have had fish since I was 1 but I did go by the rule "They only get as big as the tank" what pet shops will do to get you to buy expensive fish. So pretty much I need to re learn every thing.

Wild Turkey
11-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks!!! I'm kinda a newbie right now even though I have had fish since I was 1 but I did go by the rule "They only get as big as the tank" what pet shops will do to get you to buy expensive fish. So pretty much I need to re learn every thing.

Unfortunately one of the first things ur gonna learn is not to trust the fish store. Lol Good luck to you and welcome to the site friend!:19:

Fishguy2727
11-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I would feed small pellets. I only feed New Life Spectrum. Pellets are usually of higher quality and are cleaner to feed, they also fill them up better.

reptile dude007
11-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Fishguy2727, Does petsmart carry that? If so How much is it there? I'm going there later today to get dog food.
Wild Turkey, They should go threw training or some thing so they know what there doing! Thanks!!!

NickFish
11-08-2008, 03:55 PM
No, petsmart doesn't usually carry new life spectrum.

They do carry Hikari products though.

Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+ is in my opinion the best cichlid pellet out there. Pretty much anything that says "Hikari Cichlid" on it is good for your Angels. Just make sure you are getting the right size pellet.

reptile dude007
11-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Ok. How much is it? I am planning on getting the 55 gallon today

NickFish
11-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Not very much.

Probably as much as your bloodworms cost. Around $10.

Fishguy2727
11-08-2008, 10:06 PM
No, New Life Spectrum won't sell to Petsmart.

Not all the Hikari Cichlids are the same. The price reflects quality. The Staple is the lowest quality, then Gold, then the Bio-Gold+ is the best. Hikari
Cichlid Excel is designed for herbivorous cichlids and, if they even still make it, there was another Cichlid pellet by Hikari, but I can't even think of the name for it any more. It was a sinking food. The Gold now comes in a sinking formula in the two middle sizes. If you go with Hikari I would get at least the Gold, preferably the Bio-Gold+. But unless you feed NLS variety is important so it wouldn't be bad to get Omega One and a couple others as well. I think it would just be better and more than worth it to just get the NLS online and try it out.

reptile dude007
11-08-2008, 11:25 PM
NickFish, Thanks!!! I read you can feed them frozen brine shrimp as a staple is this true?

Fishguy2727, Ok, when I go there later today I will look around for it. Does NLS stand for New life spectrum?

reptile dude007
11-09-2008, 03:58 AM
I found some of this Sinking carnivore pellets It is made by Hikari. I found it in the fish supplies from when
I had baby red tail cats. I put it in a fish net so it wouldn't sink and they went to town on it. I let one sink for the Barb and he took it to his little cave :19: .

Fishguy2727
11-09-2008, 03:58 AM
Yes, NLS is New Life Spectrum.

No, the staple of the diet should be a high quality pelleted or flake food. These are much more balanced than any single item will be (bloodworms, beefheart, etc.). Those are used as protein loaders to power feed them and focus on growth, not quality.

reptile dude007
11-09-2008, 04:01 AM
The package has a red tail cat fish on it.

reptile dude007
11-09-2008, 04:01 AM
Yes, NLS is New Life Spectrum.

No, the staple of the diet should be a high quality pelleted or flake food. These are much more balanced than any single item will be (bloodworms, beefheart, etc.). Those are used as protein loaders to power feed them and focus on growth, not quality.
Ok. Thanks a bunch dude.