PDA

View Full Version : Yabby tank?????

Demi ^_^
11-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Ok. I have a community tank. I am planning a shrimp tank. What about a yabby tank????? What would be the minimum size of a tank for some of these fellas???

I would love to have some yabbies, as every weekend we check our yabby pots in differnet dams.

Northernguy
11-08-2008, 03:12 PM
What is a yabby?
I know what a YUPPY is but I have never heard of a yabby!

Red
11-08-2008, 03:43 PM
What is a yabby?

Northernguy
11-08-2008, 03:51 PM
A Yabby is a crayfish!Different country different name!
I personally would go no less than 10gal. for them.

Red
11-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Ohhhh
I say nothing less then a 20gal for these guys

Demi ^_^
11-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Ok, sorry to bump, but I didn't want to start a brand new topic :))

I want to make a dream tank for a single Yabby :)) What is a good size for these guys? I would prefer something 2ft in length, perhaps 30-35G?

I was thinking of doing half the tank with 5mm gravel and the other half with sand. I think it will look really awsome. Then the Yabby will have both gravel and sand :)) I am also thinking of planting the tank quite a bit, but with non-expansive live plants because I have heard what yabbys are like!

I am also keen on a nice big rock formation and a nice piece of driftwood :))))

How does this sound???

Now for the questions:

1) Someone told me I should make a culture of snails or small fish for them to eat? Do I have to include meat in their diet?

2) Do I have to have a heater? A site recommended I didn't. ???

3) Do Yabbys need any particular special requirements?

dean30bb
11-13-2008, 08:56 AM
i used to breed yabbies a few years back i had blue clawed yabbies and they aer very much like scavengers they eat just about anything in the tank they dont go well with fish as they eat the smaller ones and get eaten by the bigger ones they need a very good filter as they are dirty crayfish the water clouds up in a few hours after you put them in the tank if they dont have a good filter there best kept in bigger tanks with many hidey hole possibly rocks. clean 50%of the water every week. i used to feed mine sinking pellets and frozen peas and even some raw meats but not mince as its not very helthy for them . they fight alot and will kill each other if the tank is to small there very terratorial so make sure you have at least 10-15 liters per yabbie

also with the heater question its not good for them as they would cook lol there more cold water.
your set up sounds great for him. put a few feeder fish in with him and he will try and catch them they mainly hunt for them of a nite so you mite not get to see them catch them.
a 2 ft tank is great for him but they can get out of the strangest places make sure the lid is tight and theres no gaps for them to get out i once found one of mine in the washing machine lol
i hope this help you if you have any other questions just ask

Demi ^_^
11-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Thankyou Dean!

I didn't know that Yabby's were messy creatures, so thankyou for that information! I will get a good, strong filter and do weekly 50% water changes.

I am beginning to re-think my plan on the substrate. I know the gravel will be fine, but will the Yabby disrupt the sand and damage the filter???

I am thinking of throwing in some fancy guppies, there will be lots of plants so they will have a chance of survival, plus if they are caught by the Yabby he can have a decent meal. Is this okay???

dean30bb
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
yeah sure thats fine but the yabbie will most probly want to eat your plants or just rip them out lol there funny somethimes

Demi ^_^
11-14-2008, 06:37 AM
I am seeing mixed sites. Some say females can go together and that a good thing to have a few females. Some say yabbies are purely solitary creatures....

I want a female yabby - is it best for her to have other female mates or not?

dean30bb
11-14-2008, 06:46 AM
it is better. but they will do fine on there own

Demi ^_^
11-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks Dean!

I think I will get 2 females. I will put many caves and drfitwood in their so they each have a territory just incase too :))

Will frozen bloodworms & flakes work well for them?

dean30bb
11-15-2008, 03:40 AM
the blood worms are good but the flakes they wont touch much you can do sinking pellets

aquakid
01-24-2009, 05:42 PM
15 gl tank for 1, the only fish compatable are stuff like cichlids

troy
01-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Old thread!:spam:

bocrayfish
06-20-2009, 06:14 AM
15 gl tank for 1, the only fish compatable are stuff like ciclids
hmmm the ciclids might injure the crawdads after a molt:scry: but a minum i think would be ten