PDA

View Full Version : Success at last!!!

lovleeko
11-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Woo hoo!!! Success at last. I paired one of my female Betta's. My other two are simply to aggressive. I read all about the beauty of a tank full of females. Not my little feisty ladies. I had success tonight. I wanted some cherry barbs to help cycle my ten gallon. Well my current resident female was having none of it! She wasn't nipping to kill but she was pretty mad about the situation. My other female will rip to shreds if you attempted something like this with her. So I took her out and switched her with one of my females who never caused problems while trying to pair the three of them. It worked!! I'm so happy. I thought it would never work out. She posed for like two seconds after ignoring them for a while and then that was that. They are all swimming right past each other and living peacefully so far. I'm being vigilant but so far so good. I have high hopes!:19: :19: :19:

Northernguy
11-08-2008, 05:51 AM
I have never had any luck with female bit, er betas! They are nasty mean cruel excellent hunters.

lovleeko
11-08-2008, 06:41 AM
LOL I'm right there with you northern guy. I never thought I would do it. I had truly given up. But I thought what the heck. I wasn't getting any nitrite spikes or ammonia from just the betta and wanted to get some barbs and do a cycle with some fish. So I figured three barbs plus the one betta if I can get one of them to stay in there without harm would do the trick. Well so far so good. And normally I have never had it work out for this long so like I said I am optimistic. She stays to her self but they swim right over to her and she just swims there hardly noticing them anymore. Which is great cause like I said with my other two someone would be ripped up right now. My one betta has her fins ripped up from the pairing I attempted with them. My goofy self didn't have the net out right beside me. I had to go digging for it in the child proofed cabinet I keep my things in and by that time I had a lady with some fin missing :( poor thing. It is growing back way faster than I thought though. YAY!

Northernguy
11-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Your Lucky .I tried an apple snail with my females and the ripped the feelers off his head.One even tried a nibble on my finger when I reached in to take the snail out.You can have em' lol:19:

Kathyd
11-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Thats really cool, lovleeko. I bet they look great. Are they different colors?

lovleeko
11-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Kathyd

Well unfortunately I wasn't ever able to get my females to pair :( But my docile female did pair with the cherry barbs just fine. This same female would pair with another female betta if I could find one as docile as she seems to be. This is a new thing but when I put all my bettas (females) in a tank together she was the one standing back while the other ones hated each other. They looked so beautiful in the tank though. One has yellow fins and a transparent body. The other one is the one I posted a pic of. She's blue. And the other one is a blue color with pink outline to her body. I want to post a pic of her but her fins are ripped. I wanted a red one to go in this mix of females and decided to wait and see how it went. Thank goodness for holding off. I don't know where I would put another Betta! But I am so happy that I was able to put my yellow lady in with my soon to be community tank. I will be getting a few tetras and some type of bottom feeder soon. I am just hoping she is tolerant of new comers since she was added to the tank after the barbs. To a tank she had never been in. Since it will be a while before I can get more fish since the tank is cycling I hope all goes well. If not then I will remove her and rearrange the tank and put her back after a couple of days. I'll post some pics soon though. It is so neat. They just swim right beside each other.