PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium disaster

rafterman191
01-18-2007, 01:50 AM
Every fish except our plecto died or is dying. We introduced some new plastic plants and cleaned the tank earlier. Within a couple of hours, they were all heading to the surface. I have no clue. This tank has been running strong for a couple years now with no deaths for over a year.

Drumachine09
01-18-2007, 01:52 AM
What are all of your levels? Did you see any signs of disease?

Cichlid_Man
01-18-2007, 01:53 AM
What is your PH, ammonia, nitirites and nitrates?

Did your temperature spike?

Did anybody use chemicals near the tank?

What did you clean the tank with?

blue fin
01-18-2007, 01:58 AM
did you clean or presoak the new plants before introducing them to the tank?

rafterman191
01-18-2007, 02:01 AM
Not sure what the levels are. It wasn't a cleaning per say, just a water change of about 50%, vacuum bottom. Added Tetra brand aquasafe to the new water, water temp- 72F

rafterman191
01-18-2007, 02:04 AM
did you clean or presoak the new plants before introducing them to the tank?
Yes cleaned them according to directions. Like I say, only 1 dead fish in the last year and that was dropsy. There was no sign of any condition prior to introducing the plants and water change.

nraposa
01-18-2007, 02:16 AM
Have you been adding any more fish lately

rafterman191
01-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Have you been adding any more fish lately

Last fish added at least 3-4 mos ago. 2 glass cats

blue fin
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM
I would really recommend testing your water, recently my water here at home has become much more concentrated with chlorine. Maybe when you performed the water change the ph or something else changed the balance in your tank dramatically.

rafterman191
01-18-2007, 02:39 AM
I would really recommend testing your water, recently my water here at home has become much more concentrated with chlorine. Maybe when you performed the water change the ph or something else changed the balance in your tank dramatically.

Understandable. That would cause death that quickly? Within 2 hours?

nraposa
01-18-2007, 02:41 AM
Sorry for loss of your fish hopefully the rest will make it

Severus
01-18-2007, 04:57 AM
The water level wouldnt necessarily cause an immediate death as you have described but if there were no signs of disease/infection..

My tank just went through a mini cycle and i had some ridiculous water parameters and somehow my fish toughed it out. I cant think of a cause for such an immediate disaster

AuroraAustralis
01-18-2007, 09:40 AM
Is your tank aerated? You post said that they headed for the surface. The first thing that came to mind was that fish gasping at the surface is most commonly caused by low levels of dissolved oxygen in the water. I would aerate the water either with an airstone or adjust your filter so the outlet is agitating the surface and see if it helps. It is the only thing I can think of if you are sure chemical poisoning is out of the question. But I would do as bluefin suggested and test your water parameters asap.. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph. Also for now I would keep your temp where it is. The higher the temp the more oxygen used by your fish and the lower dissolved oxygen in your water (catch 22 I think you call this) Anyway, I hope your fish pull through ok

AuroraAustralis
01-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I forgot to mention that if it is chlorine as suggested by bluefin, the aeration will help to dissipate the chlorine. If your water contains chloramine however aeration won't help get rid of it :o)

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2007, 03:03 PM
I always buy the de-chlorinator with chloramine remover. Some types don't have it and others do. Lately I've been using Start Right which contains both and even with well water, the chloramine remover is needed.

rafterman191
01-18-2007, 05:00 PM
We have been using an aerator for a couple of months now. That however was my initial reaction that they were suffocating. Anyways, the list of lost fish goes like this. 3 glass cats, 4 neons, all dead within 2 hrs. 4 fantail goldfish, all about 3+ inches long, and 1 upside down catfish were deteriorating rapidly within 2 hrs. 1 frog jumped ship and we can't find it, the other was dead this morning. 1 pleco that we are holding on to is still kicking in our back up bowl. In reference to the plastic plants, I wonder if something had gotten on them. Like perhaps an oil based toxin (pesticide) that would not have come off rinsing it. The fish store they came from, just completed a move from one building to across the street. There was alot of remodeling going on (ie painting, etc) in the new building while I am sure much of their supplies were already there. I am mega pissed and need to stop thinking about it now.

sergo
01-18-2007, 06:09 PM
sorry to hear about you fish loss. that is indeed a tragedy. for us newbies there is definitely something for us to learn from this, the only problem is that it had to come at your expense. i would have put all of the dead fish in a bag with plants you bought and went back to the store to see a manager. that's just me though. sorry to hear this.