PDA

View Full Version : Temp won't go down

labnjab
11-07-2008, 10:51 PM
We took our ac out a few weeks ago for the winter, but we've had a "indian summer" and now the room temp is getting up around 80, which I don't know how because it hasn't been more then 60 or 70 outside. This temp is perfect for my tropical and reef tanks because the heaters never run, but I'm worried about our goldfish tank. Its been 80 for 2-3 days, and I've been trying everything I can think of to cool it down. I've tried bottles of Ice, leaving the tops open (only when I'm around, I lost a clown due to an open top and I'm not losing these guys), fans, but it stays at 78-80 (I've tried 3 different thermometers).

My biggest concern is how it will affect the goldfish, they seem fine now, but will this harm them in any way, or am I worrying too much? The warm spell won't be over until monday and the ac is in storage and it gets cold outside at night (not in the apartment, lol), so I'd like to avoid putting it back in, but if I need to put it back I will. Thanks for any help

Fishguy2727
11-07-2008, 11:07 PM
It is fine. They really aren't the coldwater fish they are made out to be. They are really wide range temperature fish. The main issue is that with a higher temp their metabolism is faster. This has two results, one is more waste (and a bigger appetite), and the second is a higher demand for oxygen. As long as you keep the water changes up to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm, and make sure there is adequate aeration, there is not an issue at all. I have a couple goldfish in my 75 (has a discus, gold nugget pleco, and other tropical fish). I think the temp is 84F or so. They are in there to control the duckweed and crystalwort plants that took over the surface and blocked light to the rest of the tank. They are fine. I have done this multiple times and I see no difference whether they are in the room temp 150 or the much warmer 75.

labnjab
11-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Thank you, I wanted to be safe and ask. It usualy sits at around 70 degrees and we've had the ac going since we got them in april. I have an airstone that runs 24/7 and I'm doing my usual 50% water change tonight. Hopefully it cools off soon, I hate the heat, I'm worse off then they are, lol

Fishguy2727
11-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Just watch the nitrate concentration and watch them for gasping or any other signs of stress. They grow better and color can improve at higher temps.