PDA

View Full Version : Proper water environment for Chiclids

cole30
01-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Hello, I have a 20 gal fish tank with about 20 chiclids. I'm not sure what kind of chiclids they are as I've found from reseaching the subject that there are thousands of varieties. I recieved all of them from a co-worker who has a 120 gal tank and has spent a lot of money on them. What I recieved was the offspring of her mixed chiclid. Mine are not too big, about 1 -2 inches. They look like the common chiclids you see in the walmart fish section! So, I would like to know what ph level should the water be and any other information for them being comforatble in their environment. The last day or so they have seemed less lively than normal. I've had them from the time they were just born and are now 5 months old. I don't want to disturb thier environment too much for I am afraid to kill them. I am an ameutur when it comes to caring for fish, althought I love it very much. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

nick_cave
01-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Chiclids come from a lot of diferent locations in Africa, America, Asia. And their optimal conditions differ from place to place.

My first advice is to ask your co-worker what are hte parameters he/she uses in his/hers tank, because if they produced offspring their keeper must be doing someting right (or all things right ;) ), this can be the best piece of knowlege you would get, by any means.

You can also send us a photo, to help identify your species, and then we can do a lot more to help you.

When it comes to disturb them by changing conditions, is a very subjective issue, IMO you should change litle by litle the conditions ion their enviroment, and still dont stress them much, specially when you are changing the parameters in the right direction.

William
01-17-2006, 05:45 AM
I must agree with Nick. The best thing you can do is post a picture so we can identify your fish. Even a poor picture might be a big help for us to help you.