PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae - I'm guessing diatoms?

bigwes2412
11-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I have brown algae growing everywhere in my 55, on the glass, especially just above the sand substrate, and on just about everything but my fish. I've read it will eventually phase itself out, and my tank is still relatively new (2+ months). But are there any ways to speed up this process?

Northernguy
11-08-2008, 03:43 PM
I have brown algae growing everywhere in my 55, on the glass, especially just above the sand substrate, and on just about everything but my fish. I've read it will eventually phase itself out, and my tank is still relatively new (2+ months). But are there any ways to speed up this process?

Welcome to the fabulous AC!
The algae can be scrubbed off all your decorations and glass.Place all your plastic plants and decorations in a bucket of hot water and mild bleach.Scrub clean and rinse very well and replace.
How long are your lights on every day?
What kind of lighting are using?
Filtration?
How often and how much water do you change?
Or just wait til its gone.
Live plants will also help!

Wild Turkey
11-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Making sure ur tank isnt getting any sunlight and doing weekly water changes will also help reduce algae growth.

Most new tanks get brown algae, usually i opt to just leave it alone mostly. I remove it from the glass farely often until the green algae starts to grow, and then i only scrape it off the front and the sides of some tanks(ones that are visable from the front).

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Dave writes about diatoms in the red stickie here that's a good article and may help with your questions. I have problems with diatoms, as well, as I have high phosphates in my tap water. Very annoying. But read his article and that should help.

bigwes2412
11-09-2008, 03:18 AM
I have 3 live plants, aponogetons.
I think I have 2 15W lights over my tank that stay on for about 8-10 hrs a day.
And I do a 10-20% water change once a week.
I liked Dave's article, but will Otos eat brown algae?

Dave66
11-09-2008, 04:25 AM
As I said in my article, yes, but you'll need to be prepared to feed the Otocinclus or take them back to the store when they are done, and proper feeding of Otocinclus is a whole 'nother thing. I've an article on feeding Otocinclus on the forum if you want to hunt it up.

Dave

bigwes2412
11-16-2008, 01:40 AM
I decided I was tired of cleaning the algae every weekend, so I bought an otto.

I really don't think one is going to do very much (even though he's incredibly hungry), but I could only find one.

I'm going to buy at least 2 more on Monday.