PDA

View Full Version : Betta hanging at top of tank - not moving much

kurly
11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I've had my Betta for over a year and he has never been sick before. For the past three days I noticed that his coloring is becoming very pale, his fins are clamped down and he is pretty much hanging at the top of the tank and not swimming around hardly at all. He is in a 2.5 mini bow with the in tank filter that came with it.I change 50% of the water once a week and the water parameters are all in the normal range. What could be wrong with him?

I am very concerned about him :ssad: Please help.

Thanks

Poofaye C.
11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Sorry to hear about this kurly.
Do you always change 50% of the water weekly? I've always been told 30% max;weekly. As he gets a little older he might not be as hardy.(naturally) Not to sugguest anything silly, could you describe how you clean out the tank, and what you do w/ the Betta during the process.
I'm very interested to see what our fellow AC peeps have to say/write!!!

kurly
11-06-2008, 08:45 PM
No, actually I meant to say that I change 25% of the water once a week not 50%. I am not thinking straight because I am so worried about the little guy. I leave him in the tank when I change the water. He used to like swimming and playing around the tube when I suction the water out but not lately because now he barely moves. I never get the tube close to him so I know he wasn't hurt by it or anything. I don't do anything special when I clean the tank, just suction out some water, clean the walls of the tank and treat the new water before I put it back in the tank. I always make sure that the temperature of the new water is close to the water temperature in the tank. Once a month, I clean the sponges in my filter by swishing them around in the water I just removed from the tank that is in the bucket.

I just don't know what is wrong with him.

Northernguy
11-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Have you tested the water? List them if you did.
A pic is always a great help!

Kathyd
11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Sorry about your betta. How old was he when you got him? He sounds like my sister's fish for the last month of his life. I think most bettas live 2-4 years, even though with a heater and filter they can live for over 5. My lfs guys say their bettas are a year old when they are sold. Maybe he's getting on in years, but I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Poofaye C.
11-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I would get more advise on this, but sounds like the little guy needs to be as stress free as possible. What I'm about to write should not mean at all, as to why the little guy is sick, but to maybe reduce stress a little.
I've had a few Bettas in 2.5gal or less and have had decent success. Many people will say right off to use 5gal. or larger. Might be true. Mine always lived longer in smaller tanks....go fig!!! On average my bettas make it about two years. That's not great!
What I've always done w/ Bettas when dealing w/ 2.5gal or smaller is to remove Betta with a med. size cup.(such as the cups they come in at walmart) Clean tank like normal, then place cup in tank w/ Betta still inside cup. Do not release Betta yet. Just like when adding new fish. I slowly add water from tank, let a little out of cup, add a little from tank. Let fish rest for 5min. or so. I do this, grab a cup of coffee repeat process with tank/cup for a total of about 15min.
This might reduce stress some what to an older Betta or one who's going though a rough time. Note: I do this for bettas in 2.5gal or smaller. Of course I'm sure this is not necessary in tanks 5gal. or larger.

Kayla-Bug
11-06-2008, 10:57 PM
I think he is just old. They are usually already adults when the arrive at the pet stores, unless you catch them when they get them from breeders when they mess up. 1 year is usually when they start to do this. Don't worry, it's natural. And sorry about him!