PDA

View Full Version : help with rescued pleco

statenfish
11-06-2008, 04:59 PM
While in my local aquarium store i noticed a 7 inch pleco cramped into an 5 gallon tank. The owner said a guy dropped it off and thats the largest tank he had available on short notice. I promptly rescued the big guy and now he is housed in a 90 gallon tank with a rescued brown bullhead cat i also rescued under similar conditions. i never had one this large and would love some care and feeding tips for the big guy. i was gonna purchase a clay pot fron the local garden store and create a cavve for him to hide. Does that sound reasonable and how can i get moss to grow on the pot so it is more realistic for the big guy.

Sharkman
11-06-2008, 05:11 PM
that is great that you rescued the pleco. He will love green vegetables like cucumber slices, lettuce, and probably peas too. I've also heard they like apple too but I have never tried it. A clay pot would be great as well as any other caves you can make where it is dark as they are nocturnal. You could buy some java moss and attach it to the clay pot to make it look however you like if that is what you were asking. Is this a common pleco? Have fun with him.

angelcakes
11-06-2008, 05:49 PM
While in my local aquarium store i noticed a 7 inch pleco cramped into an 5 gallon tank. The owner said a guy dropped it off and thats the largest tank he had available on short notice. I promptly rescued the big guy and now he is housed in a 90 gallon tank with a rescued brown bullhead cat i also rescued under similar conditions. i never had one this large and would love some care and feeding tips for the big guy. i was gonna purchase a clay pot fron the local garden store and create a cavve for him to hide. Does that sound reasonable and how can i get moss to grow on the pot so it is more realistic for the big guy.
hello and welcome :19:
good for you in resucing the pleco and bullhead cat:19:
a large terracota plant pot would also be good as a cave as for growing the moss ive no idea
care for your pleco would be your water quality and diet
plecos will eat quite a number of foods such as raw cucumber,algea wafers,pellets,lettece,bloodworms,prawns and peas theres a lot of things and a list as long as my arms:laugh1blue: if your pleco is a common plec be prepard as these can get bigger also the bullhead cat will also get bigger,your plec will also benifit from wood such as driftwood or bogwood this is also recommended in ther diet,
the bullhead cat is also a meat eater that would enjoy foods such as the prawns as suggested for your plec also bloodworms,and would also benifit from a cave and somewhere to hide remember with plecos and most catfish these are nocturnal and will eat at night when the tank is dark,

statenfish
11-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone! I purchased a cucumber earlier and am curious how to place it for the pleco to find.( i have to tell you i got some odd looks when i was standing in line buying a cucumber with a confused look on my face, inuendo aside) should i place it on the bottom or hang it on the side. I really want this guy yo do well. I already added the clay pot. I just put it in whole and layed it on its side. these guys are producing o ton of waste but i have a fluval 305 and two rena xp3 filters all running with ample aeration and a powerhead. Wow i really have to get a life! lol

mrs fishpatrick
11-06-2008, 11:56 PM
when I feed cucumber I stick a clean fork in it so it doesn't float,
I also cut it lengthways so they can get at the softer part of the cucumberflesh, although I have read here that some dont like to give the pips
hth

Sharon
11-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Just slice the cucumber, and weigh the slice down with a spoon pushed through it. Remove any leftovers after 24 hours...Great that you rescued him, and had an appropiate tank to put him in. He must be ecstatic!:19:

Gemini
11-07-2008, 03:07 AM
these guys are producing o ton of waste but i have a fluval 305 and two rena xp3 filters all running with ample aeration and a powerhead. Wow i really have to get a life! lol

Hahaha your in the right place here! We are the only people who will understand!!

I just use bamboo skewers to hold my cucumbers and stuff for my africans and BN. They are the skewers you make kebabs on. I just cut the vege, and stick it on the skewer. Then on the skewer bottom, I have wedged a fishing sinker. I just pop them in, leave for 12 hours and then pull them out.

angelcakes
11-07-2008, 09:49 AM
or to keep your cucumber down on the surface you could use a screwcumber which is excellent and i would highly recommend,link below is a screwcumber link from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCREWCUMBER-FRESH-DIET-FEEDER-FOR-TROPICAL-FISH_W0QQitemZ370104041397QQihZ024QQcategoryZ66795 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Northernguy
11-07-2008, 03:48 PM
I just make a salad with a piece of cucumber and some spinach or lettuce and cram them in a small shell.I bought the shells at a dollar store , a bag full for a buck!Those scewers are not available here and this looks a little more natural in a tank.

angelcakes
11-07-2008, 03:56 PM
I just make a salad with a piece of cucumber and some spinach or lettuce and cram them in a small shell.I bought the shells at a dollar store , a bag full for a buck!Those scewers are not available here and this looks a little more natural in a tank.
thats quite a good idea:19: :19:

Northernguy
11-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Thanks! Its not exactly natural but it works.The cucmber holds the leaf veg. in secure.The apple snails rip it out of the shell when it gets low.I take the shells out in the morning and get rid of any pond snails at the same time!