PDA

View Full Version : Transporting fish

wolf_eyes
11-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Winter break is coming up and I have to leave for 6 weeks because the college kicks us out of the dorms. Due to an unfortunate event my fish sitter had to back out on watching my fish. My roommate said that if i couldn't find anyone she would be willing to take them home but she lives four hours away. Also I will be graduating this year and was hoping to transport my fish home with me but this is a four day trip from one side of the country to the other.

I have been reading up on how to do this but I wanted to see if you guys had any other input. I was planning on getting a styrofoam cooler or bucket , filling it 2/3 the way full with water from the tank, and adding an airstone powered by a battery pump for the fish. For my plants I think i will be putting them in two pitchers filled 2/3 with tank water. The filter and biofilter would also be put into a pitcher with tank water. (not sure what to do with the gravel)

So here are my questions for you all
1)does my idea of getting them to my friend's house sound alright?
2) Should i disperse the gravel between the three pitchers and cooler to keep the bateria on them alive?
3) Will the fish survive a four day trip in these conditions or should I just try to find them new homes when the big, four day move comes? Shipping the fish home isn't an option because everyone in my household will be down here celebrating and I also do not have a tank at home waiting for them

Gemstone
11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
they should be ok if you can keep the temperatures constant..it does not really matter about the gravel as the really good bacteria is your flter...there is actually very little in your gravel...good luck to you..

Northernguy
11-06-2008, 05:20 PM
What are doing with your filter?
If your friend will put it on their tank for the holiday it will stay cycled.
Make sure you keep the filter media in some tank water til its set up.
Clean your gravel and keep it wet until you return.All the necesary bacteria is in your filter .
It will give your fish a better chance when you reset your tank.

wolf_eyes
11-06-2008, 07:03 PM
for the holiday my friend will be taking the whole tank and setting it up at her house, including the filter.

bushwhacker
11-07-2008, 03:06 AM
have your folks set up a tank at home bag your fish and send em home how much time do you have till break?

wolf_eyes
11-07-2008, 04:15 AM
I have 15 days until break. I know my roommate will take good care for my fish for the 6 week break because she is the one that got me into the hobby and she has kept fish for 5-6 years.

I was thinking that maybe I could put something that would create ammonia (maybe the stuff used for cycling) to keep my filter alive for the four hour trip. As for when I graduate from college, I think i may do the same as well if i do want to take them. Everything i read online seem to really discourage transporting fish for more than a short period, but I have to admit that I have grown attached to the little guys.