PDA

View Full Version : hostile crawfish

genitor
01-17-2007, 04:46 AM
My crawfish has been attacking the fishes in my tank and ripping their fins, especially my angels. I've been thinking of declawing him but not too sure if this is a good idea or how to do it.

freshwaterfishlover
01-17-2007, 02:05 PM
They need at least 20 gallon tank for one or 50 gallons for 2. THey should never be in a tank with any other living things and only plants that should be in the tank is Anacharis plants.

jeffs99dime
01-17-2007, 02:39 PM
yeah. crawfish will not coexist with others. i would advise you to remove him.

Wallyfish
01-20-2007, 06:01 AM
Perhaps you could replace the crayfish with a wood shrimp. They look similar but can't harm your fish. I don't know about thier compatability with your angelfish however. I imagine that once your angel fish gets big enough he might eat it. Here is a description
http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html
On a side note. Are you keeping your guppies with your angel fish? Your angel fish will eat those too eventually.

newt0524
01-23-2007, 06:32 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE do NOT try to de claw it. it will die and most likely cause a big bacteria outbreak in the tank.

i repeat, DO NOT declam it.

kenyth
03-10-2007, 07:24 PM
If you must keep it, band his claws with orthodontic rubber bands. These things make poor community tank residents.

tanya
04-11-2007, 11:50 PM
(note: crawfish grow there claws back so i wouldn't bother declawing them)

i kept around 5 medium sized and 1 large creek-caught-crawfish in my 30 gallon tank with 1 goldfish and 1 small pleco.
at first the large crawfish tried to eat my pleco but i would poke the crawfish with the stick end of the net each time he'd go after the pleco. he soon learned that the pleco wasnt fun to beat up on. but then later on that same crawfish would go mad and try to kill everything in the tank. so i would give him small pieces of bacon or ham or even browned ground beef(if u dont brown it, it is almost impossible to get back out and it clouds the tank really bad) and also found that the crawfish love to eat sinking goldfish granules. he would calm down after i gave him this protien so i soon learned his diet(not includeing live fish) and when he went on a soon-too-be killing spree i would just give him some protien.
before i thought to give him protien i tried banding him but he got really depressed so i just found a different way.
i'm happy to say that all my fish lived very peacefully together for about a year until some sort of disease killed all my crawfish. they would get real still and turn kinda redder then usual then they'd just die. i still miss josia (my large , crazy one) and rusty and blue and clawless and shorty and tike!
hope this helps, i plan on going out and catching more crawfish this year!

Drumachine09
04-11-2007, 11:57 PM
yeah. crawfish will not coexist with others. i would advise you to remove him.

OR cook it up, add some butter, and chow down! lol