PDA

View Full Version : Do Snails Fight?

artemisblossom
11-06-2008, 04:04 AM
I moved my golden mystery snail from my 55 gal tank to another tank and the snail in the other tank will not leave the one I moved alone. The snail that I moved started exploring the new tank he was in when the resident snail came up to him and latched onto him. I pulled them apart and the snail I had moved went into his shell about a half hour later I checked he was still hidden in his shell and the resident snail was latched onto the him again. Are they fighting? I have another tank I can move one of the snails to. The reason I moved the first snail is that I am putting in some yoyo loaches and didn't want the snail eaten.

labnjab
11-06-2008, 05:58 AM
I had this happen a few months ago between a golden apple snail and a black mystery snail. Sounds like they are mating. Here is a thread with some pictures of mine doing the same thing http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=29202

Mvjnz
11-06-2008, 06:15 AM
I would be really careful pulling them apart. Pulling on them can tear the muscle which keeps them in their shell, so that their body and/or lung can't stay inside the shell anymore, and this is usually fatal.

Just let them be, they'll sort themselves out. I've never heard of snails fighting, but if a male tries to mount another male there will usually be some angry movement, but they won't harm each other, unless one is much bigger than the other, in which case one might get crushed.

But seeing as yours doesn't seem to mind being mounted it's prolly a female, and the male which is on top is mating with her.

Sounguru
11-06-2008, 09:18 AM
I have seen MTS fight back when attacked by an assassin but that was because the MTS was becoming lunch..... :-)

Snails do not fight so to speak they may make angry gestures like get off my back but other than that nothing really comes of it. If I were you I would be on the lookout for upcoming egg casings.

terrapin24h
11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
yeah, no they weren't fighting, it was the other thing ;) Get ready for a clutch.

--chris

scruffy
12-03-2008, 05:35 AM
I agree! They're tripping the light fantastic. I am interested in knowing if the babies will have both black and gold in their shells. I think that would be pretty.

korith
12-03-2008, 06:49 AM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mly/lowres/mlyn196l.jpg

Wild Turkey
12-03-2008, 11:32 AM
They are mating, just leave them.

Dont worry, mystery snails cant crush each other really, i keep newborns in with fullgrowns, they just get run over and keep going like nothing happened. Eventually they get so used to it they dont even go into their shells when it happens. I was however worried about suffocation ..but i never saw one case of it so i stopped worrying.

Ive kept a small army of mysterys and have never seen 1 example of aggression, whatsoever. They are also the only thing i can put in a shrimp tank and the shrimp will still breed.

Hilarious cartoon kor, LOL