PDA

View Full Version : Something on rock

XLivinLtupx
01-13-2006, 05:11 AM
I set up a 60 gallon aquarium a couple weeks ago. I bought 30 pounds of rock, it wasnt lava rock but it looked similar just not red. from a local pet store and made a rock formation in the middle of the tank. Now i'm seeing white spider web like stuff on a couple different places on some of the rock? Is this some sort of algae growing? Was I supposed to treat the rock before putting it in the tank? I have already added 8 fish and I dont want them to die. Thanks for the help

nick_cave
01-13-2006, 09:56 AM
That is normal fungus growing on your rock, probably due to some organic material laying ont the rock surface, when you introduce new rocks to your aquarium you should boil them before to kill all bugs and sporus (yet sometimes the fugus sporae stil remains alive), you can also dip your rock in a solution of sodium permaganate, for more radical elemination of fungus, and them pass it trough runing water befor adding it to your tank.
The fungus are not by themselfs harmful to healty fish, although stressed, or injuried can be afected and covered by it, other fish like to nible the white stuff and play with it arround.

XLivinLtupx
01-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Nick Cave, Thanks for the help. Is there any fish that will eat it, like an algae eater? Or would it be a better idea to just take the rock out and boil it? Thanks

nick_cave
01-16-2006, 09:52 AM
it would be a better idea to remove the rock and boill it, although it's not 100% sure it will solve the problem by it self, sometimes the fungus sporae are too resilient and survive even high temperatures such as wt boiling point.
In relation too fish eating it, i dont know any species that does so, nor did i found any literature related to it, by my previous experience sometimes they just bite but dont eat the stuff, but that's just it.